Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
shallinan
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

some basic questions for air on playbook

hi

some basic questions that I could not easily find the answers to :

1) does the air app for the playbook have to be a flex mobile project ?

2) are the flex charts supported for the playbook or not ?

3) does the main file have to be an actionscript .as file as per the startup guide, or can it be an mxml file ?

using a windowed application right now and it works fine so I"m not sure what the advantages or disadvantages or stipulations are around this.

cheers !

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Re: some basic questions for air on playbook

The resulting application just has to be an AIR application.  It does not matter how it was created or from which IDE.

There are some advantages in using the QNX SDK because of the more native widgets designed for the PB.  Some have skineed the flex mobile controls to look and behave like QNX controls.  If you're just working on PB, then QNX might be the way to go.  If you're looking for portability to other AIR tablets, then the Flex Mobile might be the better path.

There is a slight overhead associated to windowed application vs Sprite/AS root class in terms of file size and startup time.  But you have to weigh that against portability and ease of development.

Developer
p3pp3r
My Device: Torch 9800, PlayBook

You can look into these threads for some help choosing the right approach:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Tablet-OS-SDK-for-Adobe-AIR/Which-components-to-use/m-p/72173...

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Tablet-OS-SDK-for-Adobe-AIR/Flex-Mobile-Project-Using-ActionS...

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Tablet-OS-SDK-for-Adobe-AIR/Flex-Mobile-Project-vs-Actionscri...

Hope this helps. If you have specific questions search the forum and ask questions! ;-)

----------
If you find this post helpful please "like" it and accept as a solution.
Contributor
shallinan
My Device: Not Specified

thanks for the links and comments guys.

maybe you could help me with some further clarification.

1. it would seem the preferred development approach for purely the PB is :

- write in AS3, extend root class from Sprite

- use QNX api for all controls

this is the only way to ensure correct default look and feel for PB (?)

are QNX components more difficult or different to use than flex ones ? I just am using the BB tablet OS API so I guess most things should just work the same

2. it is possible to write an mxml air app for PB, but then you dont get :

- speed of loading and execution

- default PB look and feel

- I had been using Flex Mate as the frame work, but this is not supported in AS3, just mxml so I'm wondering if you can point me to what framework people are using for PB/mobile apps, if any !

3. as Spark is the component arch for flex 4, once you are using flex 4, this is a given

shallinan

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

To respond to #1, the QNX are "similar" to regular Flex/Air controls but they are not very mature and the behavior is not one would expect sometimes if you have been developing in Flex for a number of years.  If you are newer to Flex, you probably wont know the difference.  It is still a beta API, so either the API is:

1) not implemented

2) not implemented fully

3) not implemented as expected

4) Odd API approach or architecture approach (odd=not Flex like)

With that said, a crafty person can get a pretty good application out using AS and QNX controls.  Just be prepared to work around some issues.  If you're app is pretty straight forward (not too many controls), then it is not too bad.  But you will find yourself scratching your head and ask "why in the heck did they do that?"

I can tell you one thing, if this forum was not so active, I think there would be far fewer applications ready for the PB.

Good luck.