Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
JoselineRuiz
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

splash screen image size

What should be the size of the image for the splash screen?

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Re: splash screen image size

I've made mine 1024x600 (full screen) since the loader of the splash screen does not center it nor does it support transparency.

Please use plain text.
Developer
TheDarkIn1978
My Device: PlayBook

[ Edited ]

i was trying to conceive a way to perhaps make the splash screen futureproof, in the event that preceding versions of PlayBook have larger screens / resolution.  what if he splash screen was 1024x600 at say, 300PPI, could/would future versions of PlayBook automatically scale, and hopefully smooth, the image to fit?

PlayBook Applications:
Drop Swatch
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

My guess is that you would probably supply a different splash screen per screen size like is done with icons.  But since that could easily be a year off, the simplest thing to do is to just fix it for now.  If they centered the splash with alpha background, then one could fit all larger screens since I doubt they will go smaller for now (for tablets).

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Best way, for now, to be future-proof is not to use the splash-screen feature yet.  I don't plan to until at least the next SDK is out (assuming it fixes support for splash-screens in portrait mode).

Small apps will probably show it to the user for less than a second anyway.  Larger apps may be better served by having a "true" splash screen loaded as part of their application, then contriving to dynamically load all the remaining code and assets while that is displayed, since that way they could show progress, an animation, etc.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
lavr
My Device: Not Specified

http://renaun.com/blog/2011/01/exploring-the-playbook-applications-blackberry-tablet-xml/ - this is the lesson which helps to center and set the transparency

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

I see nothing in that article which refers to centering the splash screen, or making it transparent.  It does show the use of the transparency setting for the app stage itself, and it does show an example of a trivial app which happens to centre its content, but that's all.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
New Developer
atriagrawal
My Device: blackberry torch

I wanted to keep the splash screen still for say about 3-4 seconds, could you please suggest me a method to do so ?
Please use plain text.
Developer
ITFCJim
My Device: Bold 9900 + Dev Alpha B + PlayBook

Search is your friend! :-)

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Tablet-OS-SDK-for-Adobe-AIR/Make-splashscreen-stay-bit-longer...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help fellow forum users! Please remember to click "Like" on helpful posts.
If a post solves your problem click "Mark as solution"
Please use plain text.