Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
DachFlach
My Device: Not Specified

Re: userDirectory

2 years later..

Has userDirectory been denied or is it just me?

I am not able to access it. Denied.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Probably not a good idea to use that anyway since it has never been discussed if BB devices will support multiple users. Best to use the File.documentsDirectory (for shared things) and File.applicationStorageDirectory, for app specific things.
Please use plain text.
Developer
DachFlach

Thank you for the update.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bobbydriscol
My Device: Playbook, 9670, 9800, 9350
My Carrier: Telus

The applicationStorage directory doesn't require any special permissions from the user to access -- it's great to store configuration and non-user access data (like thumbnails or other 'temporary' type data) since the data gets automatically cleared if the app is deleted. I use it for all my application data as the user cannot access the directory data location to review the data. You'll notice that from your PC you can access the 'general' shared directories of the BBOS device (like 'documents' or 'downloads') but not the application storage locations or user identity locations.

The userDirectory refers to the same data as you can acces through the explorer in windows so there's no risk in using that directory in your applications in my mind - those are managed user data locations. This is my opinion. Access to this directory needs to be accepted by the user (through the property <permission>access_shared</permission> in the bar-descriptor.xml file).

The userDirectory doesn't refer to any secure data locations (no contact info or system properies etc) just shared user data.

Please use plain text.
Developer
DachFlach

Does the applicationStorage directory get automatically cleared if the app is Updated?

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

app-storage does not get removed on an application update, but it is deleted when the app is deleted.
Please use plain text.