Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Development

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: non-BlackBerry user / developer
My Carrier: N / A

Denied Because of Belittling BlackBerry

I have an Android app that some friends and family asked me to port to BlackBerry. I've done so, and I've been horrified by my experience.

App reviews take an eternity (on Android the app is submitted instantly), and any communication I send for support takes days to answer. But I understand that this is how BlackBerry works. However, I got an email after submitting my latest release that has shocked me:

"While processing your application, release '3.0' from your product 'Alarm Time' (ticket #), for inclusion into BlackBerry World I encountered the following issue(s) that require your attention before we are able to continue. 

Please fix the following issue(s) and resubmit your application as a new release. 

- I am testing your app on the BlackBerry Q10, Q5, Z10 and Z30. Please review your warning statement since right now it belittling BlackBerry. 

- I noticed that there are term Android on the warning statement. Please note that there should not be any mention of Android or the Android logo on the app title, screenshot, icon, description and in the app itself. Please remove all Android references. "

Here is the message that I display:

"This app has been ported over from Android. Not all features are currently supported on BlackBerry, including:

VERY IMPORTANT - Register alarms after reboot (BlackBerry does not always notify apps when the device has been restarted. If for whatever reason your device has been turned off, and then back on again, you may need to open the Shabbos Alarm app in order for the system to register your alarms).\n\tAdditionally, alarms will not ring if the device is powered off.

Backup Manager

System Ringtone Pickers (please use the "App" ringtone picker when selecting a ringtone for an alarm; "System" is not guaranteed to work).

We hope to add these features as they become available on BlackBerry."

I understand the part about not mentioning Android, but in what way is this belittling BlackBerry? I will absolutley refuse to remove the message (other than taking out the part about how the app is a port from Android). None of the emails I sent back were responded to. I don't want to have to deal with this. I'm considering just pulling my app; I'd rather that than have to be subjected to such garbage. 

Does anyone have any input on this?

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: xxxxx

Re: Denied Because of Belittling BlackBerry

Seriously, you have an Alarm App and it's a known issue that alarms are not restarted after a reboot on BB.  Why even bother porting it? -- it's useless and non-functional and probably shouldn't even be approved for distribution.

New Contributor

I put that there just to make sure that people understand why their alarm potentially did not go off. In my experience, most people never turn their devices off. For those that do, all they need to make sure everything works is to open the app once (and sometimes not even at that due to other system events I listen for). I fail to see how that makes it useless and non-functional.

Contributor

It is, because it's an alarm app whose only function is to alert a user.  it must work at a very high reliability.  Imagine if your built-in alarm only went off 99% of the time -- you'd be late for work 3 times per year because of it.

I face this same issue in my app, but it's not a deal-breaker as I don't use alarms for anything extremely important.

New Contributor

I believe it has almost perfect reliability. Like I said, I listen for other broadcasts (such as the time getting set, which happens quite often if the time is updated from the network which almost every device's is) that will initialize the alarms. The only time it wouldn't go off is if the user has an alarm set for within a short amount of time from when the device actually boots. I just want them to be aware of that without having to get into the nitty-gritty.

In any case, I've never once had an issue while testing the alarm. And I still have my original question of how this is belittling BlackBerry.

Contributor

Also, people who use Android apps on the BB devices, need to reboot very often as the Android Runtime cr*ps out fairly regularly which only a reboot fixes.  I don't know if this has imporved in 10.2, but was certainly the case with 10.1

Contributor

"And I still have my original question of how this is belittling BlackBerry."

It doesn't, obviously.  Nothing you posted was belittling them.

New Contributor

Any suggestions on how to deal with BlackBerry regarding this issue?

Contributor

Try to send a PM to Satya_Putra . I've had good a experience with her in the past when I had my app denined for bogus/stupid reasons.

New Contributor

Thanks! I'll give that a shot.