Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Development

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Q10
My Carrier: Mobilink
Accepted Solution

No Admob in Android app?

Now, while my app is running on Playbook, I can't seem the Admob ads to be loading at all. I know they don't load at times but on other occasions they should.

Has anybody seen any working Admob ads on Android on Playbook yet?

Get Speedometer on your phone. http://www.speedometer.mobi
Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Bouygues Telecom

Re: No Admob in Android app?

I have also used AdMob on my android app, and the ads are not showing on the PlayBook... I believe this is not due to the sdk not working, but rather to the fact that AdMob has no ads to serve to the PlayBook... I didn't do extensive tests though...
Julien
Web: smugrik.org Follow: @Smugrik
PlayBook apps:
OSCream
kiPass
Developer
My Carrier: Bouygues Telecom

I am actually pretty sure ad requests go through, yesterday my fill rate had a very sharp drop in AdMob, this would correspond to all the requests that were send from the app on the PlayBook, and AdMob didn't had an ad to serve

I also happen to have a pb app that has AdMob ads served using AdMob's mobile website config, requests are coming to admob, but in 6 month, only 5 ads have been served :-) I guess a few users were lucky enough...
Julien
Web: smugrik.org Follow: @Smugrik
PlayBook apps:
OSCream
kiPass
Developer
My Carrier: Wind

I am experiencing the same thing.

What baffles me, however, is that I am requesting ads in test mode. This is supposed to guarantee a 100% fill rate with test ads. The test ads aren't even showing up, and the message I get back in LogCat is that there is no ad inventory. This doesn't make sense.

I have correctly specified the device ID, and pass the set of test devices like this:

/* If the system is in either development or production mode, show test ads only */

if( ! myApp.getSystemState().equals( myApp.SystemStates.production) ){

adRequest.addTestDevice( AdRequest.TEST_EMULATOR ); // Emulator

adRequest.setTestDevices( yapApp.getAdMobTestDevices() );

}

/* Display the ad */

adView.loadAd( adRequest );

The Playbook is listed in the Set of test devices. The device ID was pulled from LogCat per guidance from AdMob. I have three different Android devices that respond apprropriately, and neither of the two PlayBook test devices have ever displayed an ad - not even test ads.

Here is what I get back:

01-22 18:24:37.290: I/Ads(29835418): onFailedToReceiveAd(Ad request successful, but no ad returned due to lack of ad inventory.)

There should be 100% fill rate in test mode. When I swtich out of test mode, the problem persists 0% fill rate, wheras my native Android devices get about a 50% fill rate.

If I can't resolve this, I will have to abandon the PlayBook as a supported platform.

Michael

Contributor
My Device: 8900, 9630

Do anyone being able to show any admob ads in their android apps?

If yes, Please share with us.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: none

Which version of the AdMob SDK are you using? because i am getting a network error with the AdMob 4.3.1.JAR

Developer

I am using 4.3.1 and I do not have connection issues.

Michael

Regular Contributor
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: none

Are you on the simulator or real device?
Developer

Re: No AdMob in Android app?

I have never seen test ads show up - not even once. I have, however, seen the odd add show up when I am not in test mode. We ran a live test over the weekend with iOS, Android and Android/PlayBook devices. iOS fill rate was 100%, The Android fill rate which includes the PlayBook was 36%. As we share the same key between the PlayBook and Android apps, I can't' tell you what the ratio was for each, but prior days of testing with just Android devices, we had fill rates of 98% to 100%. Testers did report seeing ads in the PlayBook version during the testing over the weekend. Since the weekend, I have not spent much time with our PlayBook version, but I have also not seen a single ad display since the weekend.

AdMob does not seem to have specific targeting of PlayBook ads, but I think I will create a new app key in AdMob so that I can track it separately from the straight Android app.

Michael

Developer

I do all of my testing on real devices.

Michael