Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Development

New Contributor
My Device: Bb10
My Carrier: airtel
Accepted Solution

Porting Android to Blackberry - Issue with BES 10.

We basically followed the complete procedure of porting and now stuck at one particular issue.

Basically ported binary (.bar format) is not able to get pushed from BES 10 server.

After looking at the site, we found that side loaded/ported apps are not supported in the corporate perimeter.

Need to know if there is any alternative is available, as our main use case is for enterprise customer.

Appreciate your help in advance.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha B
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Porting Android to Blackberry - Issue with BES 10.

Hey Ramanathpai,

As you've already discovered, we are not supporting Android apps in the corporate perimeter (for various reasons).

We don't have any plans to support them in the future and the only alternative is to write a native app.

Justin

Justin Jasmann | Android Application Development Consultant
Developer Relations
developer.blackberry.com
New Contributor

Thanks Justin for the quick reply.

New Contributor

Just want to reconfirm on the same, as when we approached Sales team they are claiming that in BES 10.1 porting/sideloading is supported.

Can you please confirm this.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry 10
My Carrier: Rogers

Hello,

Support for Android applications and sideloading applications into the corporate workspace is not supported. This would be regardless of BES 10 version.

Thanks,

Matt

Matt Whiteman
Product Manager, Android, BlackBerry Java & Simulators
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

your sales team also confirmed that.

New Contributor
My Device: 8530 Curve
My Carrier: Verizon

Several questions here that I am pretty sure will not be answered but one can hope.

Does it seem like a good business move to allow Android apps to be side loaded into the personal space of the Z10 and Q10 while not allowing those same applications to function within the work perimeter?

Can we at least get a detailed explanation of why it is not supported instead of “for various reasons”?  

Does RIM have a plan for those companies that will only run the workspace on a device once it is connected to their corporate BES 10?  I would think these users and administrators would still want access to productivity apps.

Does RIM really expect BES administrators to open communication with every application developer in hopes of getting them to make a native Blackberry 10 version of their apps?  

Personal opinion time;

I feel that a majority of BES administrators are not also app developers.  I also think it is fair to say that a majority of companies will not take time out of their staff productivity to make an app for a system that would just provide a convenience to their end users when they could be developing products that generate revenue.  Maybe it is good that RIM goes private and starts to focus on business needs of their devices to prevent decisions like these from being made in the first place.  

Message to RIM:

You lost the consumer fight.  Time to get the corporate side perfect before you lose all your customers!

New Contributor
My Device: BBZ10

Hi jjasmann,

I have an android app which is converted to BAR file and uploaded in Blackberry World.

From your discussion I understand we cannot push converted BAR via BES 10.

Is this rule applies for converted apk to BAR from Blackberry world pushed via BES 10 also?