Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Runtime Development

New Contributor
wildvlad
My Device: Playbook

Address Book access

We are trying to repackage android version of our communication app for PlayBook, went through bunch of stuff with non-supported native code, bugs in networking implementation etc and here is the unexpected bummer at one of the very last steps:

no contacts returned from the device using android APIs, e.g.

String[] CONTACT_PROJECTION = { ContactsContract.Contacts.DISPLAY_NAME,

ContactsContract.Contacts.LOOKUP_KEY, ContactsContract.Contacts._ID, ContactsContract.Contacts.PHOTO_ID,

ContactsContract.Contacts.STARRED }

Cursor contacts = resolver.query(ContactsContract.Contacts.CONTENT_URI, CONTACT_PROJECTION,

null, null, null)

returns empty cursor (no contacts).

Did anybody tried to access address book on playbook from repackaged android app?

Developer
borceg
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB

Re: Address Book access

At this moment we can't access contacts from android player
New Contributor
Elrionri
My Device: RIM 9900

Hi,

I have the same problem with our application: no access to contact of the playbook.

Have you any news?

How can we be sure that this feature is not supported?

New Contributor
wildvlad

Haven't heard anything from blackberry, so the app is on hold until they make android player more usefull.

Contributor
Gophermofur

I feel your pain. I had the same issue and had to release another version with the address book lookup functionality disabled.

It would be nice to re-implement it as it's a defining feature of my application over others of the same variety.

New Contributor
wildvlad

No, we have no pain. For us it's actually one less platform to have an head ache about.

It's pain for ***USERS*** who wants the app on PlayBook and trying hard to manually covert APK to BAR (though it wouldn't work anyway for them without modification of the app logic)