Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Runtime Development

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Android app crashes on PB (or rather Android Player freezes?)

I have received a couple of reports that my Android app crashes on PlayBook once in a while.

Today I managed to reproduce the crash on my PlayBook. The odd thing is that according to logcat output my app was still running (that is, it was still trying - in vain - to fetch ads from AdMob). But apparently it no longer received any user input and was therefore irresponsive to the user.

The problem seemed to have affected the whole Android Player, i.e. it was not possible to close my app or do anything else with the player. A reboot of the PlayBook was the only way to get the player working again.

I don't have any problems like this on real Android devices (over 200k active installations). I presume this is a problem of the Android Player that will be fixed eventually?

OS version is 7971.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Telefonica Germany

Re: Android app crashes on PB (or rather Android Player freezes?)

I think to help you successfully you have to give us more information...

Is it a specific point where the app (player) freezes? What does the app do while freezing and just before freezing?

Did you tried to remove (or comment out) AdMob and if you did: is the app still freezing?

My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Well, the app freezes, it does not respond to user input any more. It's a pita to test because it occurs so seldom.

It seems to happen only when a new activity is about to be launched, at least I could not reproduce the issue in the middle of an activity. It's not an issue of a specific activity, multiply activities seem to be involved (resume game, new game, settings). It may have to do with AdMob but I don't really believe that. I will try to gather more data though.

What might be of interest is that when I kill the process from within Eclipse the device still displays the image of the frozen app. Even though logcat say that the app was terminated by signal (11).

I guess my question (addressed at RIM) is: are there any known issues of the Android Player that would explain this kind of behaviour?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: none

Yes the Android player is unstable and freezes often, unfortunately there is no way to restart the android player itself, you have to restart the playbook which has the longest boot time ever.

There is a trick where you open up many native playbook Apps, eventually this causes the Android player to be closed.

Developer
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Ditto, I am also experiencing the same random instability w.r.t. Android player.

A lot of time when it freezes, it only shows half the screen of "Recent Applications" window.  The only way to get around it is to reboot the device.

Contributor

Freezing Android problem is definitely affecting many end users, see http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-playbook-f222/android-player-freezing-702087/

Is RIM going to do anything about this? Is RIM even aware of this post?

New Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Free Mobile

[ Edited ]

I've made an utility that kills the Android Player so that you don't have to reboot completely the PlayBook.

It's not a long-term solution though, and I hope RIM will fix this issue... or at least provide a reset button for just the Android Player.

Users are reporting crashes on Android apps that wouldn't happen on a regular Android device, that's quite sad.

-----------------------------
See my PlayBook apps and my website.
Twitter : @Minishlink
Contributor

Good work. Though RIM ought to fix the player to prevent crashes in the first place.