Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Runtime Development

New Contributor
bosung90
My Device: N/A
Accepted Solution

Any plans for supporting Android Native Code?

I am trying to deploy an android game using libgdx framwork which I believe uses some native code.

Is there any plans to support native code on blackberry?

Thanks!

Redrock666
My Device: BlackBerry Developer

Re: Any plans for supporting Android Native Code?

I am also interested in this subject.

I have developed a game for the Android platform that can be downloaded via Google Play and I would like to port it to BlackBerry but it uses libgdx and Android native code is still an unsupported feature.

Contributor
BrianEnders
My Device: Playbook OS 2.1 - Dev Alpha C

Yeah LibGDX uses two different Native Libraries that are required. Since the Playbook currently does not support native code, we are stuck. I am currently converting my libgdx game using the android graphics library. The playbook is able to handle my game.

Maybe with BB10 we will see native code be introduced. I keep telling myself that the Playbook needs a robust Java programming enviroment, and Android can fit that bill. I am glad that it is able to run the android apps and not be an android operating system.  Cant wait to see what else they will do.

Brian Ouellette
Twitter: @Brian_Enders
New Contributor
cckrobinson
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

I'm in the same boat because I used AndEngine to develop my game.  My initial playbook release was based on AndEngine GLES1 which is supported by the Blackberry Runtime.  I then ported my game to GLES2 which uses OpenGL ES2.0 (Android 2.2 minimum).  To my horror I discovered that GLES2 uses native code so it's not support by the Blackberry runtime.  I've been steadily pushing updates for the Android Market, but my Blackberry development is now stalled :manfrustrated:

Developer
Hithredin
My Device: Z10 Red

Hi!

Take a look at the native SDK: it's standard C++ and Blackberry has ported librairies such as Boost, Box2D, Cocos2D, Lua, SDL ...

I don't think RIM will waste time to support Android NDK, since the native SDK is far more interesting / efficient, and you can directly reuse your C++ code.

New Contributor
Strahdt
My Device: Torch 9810

Hey I was searching for Native Code support for Blackberry and I ended up with this thread.

I have the same problem like cckrobinson.

I alrady had games made with Andengine and already ported them to blackberry playbook and dont have any serious problems with that.

Sanctuary HD

However now I am making anew game with the same game engine and I didnt port the game to GLS 2.0 because I know I will have problems with convertion of native code.

But I need to use Box2d or any other physics engine in that game. I cant use AndEnginePhysicsBox'DExtension because it is native also and I already tried and got the verification error.

You said "Take a look at the native SDK: it's standard C++ and Blackberry has ported librairies such as Boost, Box2D, Cocos2D, Lua, SDL ..."

I will appriciate if you can direct me how to port and use Blackberry port for Box2D in my android application.

So I can continue developing my game with the envoriment I am used to and get the benefits from the ahrd work of Blackberry developers. A tutorail or anything you can direct will be appriciated.

Thanks in Advance.

~Strahd

Developer
Hithredin
My Device: Z10 Red

Here you can find a list of libraries ported to BB10/Playbook:

http://blackberry.github.com/

New Contributor
cckrobinson
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

I'm seriously considering porting my Andengine game to Cocos2d-x. That way it will work on Android, iOS and Blackberry 10 and Windows 8 eventually. I hate leaving AndEngine since it's so easy to use and I don't love the idea of porting it from Java to C++.
New Contributor
leejjon
My Device: Potential developer

To be honest it would be pretty good for Blackberry if a framework such as libgdx would be on there as it would immedeately bump the number of games in the blackberry app world. The blackberry 10 devs should consider making JNI available for android emulated apps. I'm pretty sure the libgdx devs would want to support blackberry 10.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
jdreher
My Device: Z10

Hi everyone,

Thanks for stopping by the forums!

In lieu of the BlackBerry Native SDK, Native (JNI) code is not supported within the BlackBerry Runtime for Android apps development platform.

BlackBerry Runtime for Android apps - Unsupported Software Features

https://developer.blackberry.com/android/apisupport/unsupportedapi_blackberry10_software_features.ht...

The Native SDK microsite can be found below.

BlackBerry Native SDK

https://developer.blackberry.com/native/

James Dreher
BlackBerry Development Advisor