Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Runtime Development

Contributor
Dritanxha
My Device: Z10
Accepted Solution

Any real BB-moderators ACTUALLY on these forums?

I'm sorry, but I'm getting pretty fed up with the way BB is NOT handling their community support. I'm still awaiting reply from 2 or more threads. If you don't support us, then you'll just keep getting **bleep**, half-working, half-untested apps in your ecosystem. But then again, you're probably already used to that so I see why you wouldn't care.

Having said that, the most basic tool to convert my Android app from Eclipse (apk2bar) is failing on my Mac.

No matter what I try, new eclipse, new android sdk, standalone sdk, standalone tools, new BB10 plugin, setting environment variables on /etc/launchd.conf, .bashrc, .bash_profile, $PATH, $ANDROID_HOME, $ANDROID_SDK, move sdk to new folder, re-set folder paths, and any other tips others have provided do *NOT* work on my Mac Air.

I have even edited apk2bar file (inside the  .../eclipse/plugins/net.rim.ajde_1.5.2.201302260701/blackberry.tools.SDK/bin/ folder) to include the variable ANDROID_HOME inside that file, defined and exported. Finally I got a different error than "Android SDK path is not set".

[ERROR] Invalid %ANDROID_HOME% path: /Users/dritan/android-sdk-macosx/

Obviously the SDK path is set under Eclipse but it makes *absolutely no difference* to the bb plugin whether you put a real SDK path there or oranges. The only way to get apk2bar to recognize Android SDK is to export the environment variable under "...eclipse/plugins/net.rim.ajde_1.5.2.201302260701/blackberry.tools.SDK/bin/apk2bar" but apparently it STILL does not recognize it.

I'd like to have a word with the makers of these tools and API engineers. Why does BB carry the word "incompetent" when talking across other developers about this new-gen platform? I'd like to see this platform thrive and succeed (because the devices aren't half-bad) however we are being hindered by the development process. 

The way I see it, there are 2 options:

1. Remove APK to BAR functionality entirely and be done with the BS that all Android devs are facing

2. Support the conversion full on.

Right now I'm stuck on a plethora of APK to BAR problems, from API calls returning different values between Z10 and Q10 to the tools of development.

Sincrely,

A disgruntled fed up developer wishing he didn't have to deal with this **bleep** the WHOLE EFFIN DAY

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Fraggle222
My Device: Simulator !!!

Re: Any real BB-moderators ACTUALLY on these forums?

Agree that lack of support on this site is an issue. I think Blackberry should really be getting more involved with devs as BB10 is so critical for success of the company and Apps are a huge part of that. I will say though that if you can connect with some Blackberry devs or dev relations folks (twitter, email, messages through forums) that they can be really helpful. They helped me out with a few things over the past couple of months. But it takes a while to build those connections.

Anyway on my Mac if I'm using command line tools for testing/debuging I use: 

export ANDROID_HOME=/Library/android-sdk-mac_x86/

and then I use that same terminal window for apk2bar and such. Seems to work (for me anyway).

For releases I just build using Eclipse (although still use command line to install on device).

Also for apk2bar I specify a debug token (which I generated some how): 

./apk2bar ~/Desktop/MyApp_bb.apk -d z10_debug_token.bar 

Hope that helps.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
cheekdotcom
My Device: Playbook and Z10

I *believe* the problem is with apk2bar not understanding the Android SDK v17 file layout.  I could apk2bar yesterday with v16 just fine, but upgraded today to v17, and presto... no workie.

v17 changed the file locations, and apk2bar seems confused.  See http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Android-Runtime-Development/repackaging-android-code-apk-quot... for one dev who says BB expects a fix in June.

8-(((

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Fraggle222
My Device: Simulator !!!

What is your min_sdk and target_sdk? I'm using 10 for both for the bb version of my app since BB10 is on Android 2.3.3
Please use plain text.
Retired
jjasmann
My Device: BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha B

Hey there,

As a developer myself, I can completely understand your frustration. When you need to get something done and there's no immediate resolution to your problem(s), it can be aggravating. Hopefully this helps.

I'm going to make some assumptions here:

1. You're running OSX 10.8.x

2. You're running the most recent (permitted) version of Java (I believe that's 1.6.0_45, not Java 7)

3. You've updated to ADT v22 (most recent)

The reason why I emphasized the third point, is because Google has modified the locations of a few files/folders that happen to be dependencies of our tools. Because of this, our tooling will be unable to find these dependencies and will emit a message saying the ANDROID_HOME variable is not set (even though this is not the case).

Referencing the release notes of ADT v22, it appears that Google has moved some Android tools from <ANDROID_SDK>/platform-tools, to <ANDROID_SDK>/build-tools/17.0.0. We are currently working to update our references to reflect this change.

As a temporary solution, you can copy all of the files from <ANDROID_SDK>/build-tools/17.0.0 back to <ANDROID_SDK>/platform-tools. This will allow our tools (apk2barVerfifier, apk2bar, etc.) to function as expected. You may need to provide the SDK location directly to the tool, depending how you've got things setup.

For me,

apk2bar Sample.apk /Applications/android-sdk-macosx

Let me know if this helps!

Justin

Justin Jasmann | Android Application Development Consultant
Developer Relations
developer.blackberry.com
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Dritanxha
My Device: Z10

Thank you for your reply fix! I'm sorry I was pretty agravated that day and was searching everywhere but found no answers. I've re-constructed my thought process to be less agitated about posts and do nothing but wait.

Thanks again!

Please use plain text.
Retired
jjasmann
My Device: BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha B

No problem, just happy to help!

Justin

Justin Jasmann | Android Application Development Consultant
Developer Relations
developer.blackberry.com
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sbarthelmess
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Yes, we're all in the same boat trying to keep up with ever-changing APIs and SDKs. 

:Boat:

Assuming:

• I like to keep things in the home directory (~), and to confirm that it's not a "dir/permissions" issue...
  • Android sdk downloaded and installed in ~/Android
  • Android apk sitting in ~/Android/apk
  • You ran the Eclipse SDK -> Window -> Android SDK Manager -> downloaded the Android 2.3.3 (API 10)

I would recommend doing the following:

1. export ANDROID_HOME=~/Android/sdk
  2. cd ~/Android/sdk/platform-tools
  3. ln -fs ../build-tools/android-4.2.2/* .
  4. apk2bar ~/MYAPK.apk

This will cleanly reference the SDK without having to remember to copy those files over if something changes in the future.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jonathan2708
My Device: None - developer using simulator

Many thanks for this tip to copy the new tools to the platform-tools folder - this has cured my problems since upgrading to ADT v22.

Jonathan

Please use plain text.
Retired
mwhiteman
My Device: BlackBerry 10

Hey Jonathan,

The BlackBerry Plug-in for the Android SDK Tools version 1.6 are now posted and support version 22.0 of the Android SDK Tools!

You can download the CMD tools here: https://developer.blackberry.com/android/tools/

Or for Eclipse, you should be able to see the update now.

Matt Whiteman
Product Manager, Android, BlackBerry Java & Simulators
Please use plain text.