Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Runtime Development

New Contributor
gamedevelopersguild
My Device: nons

Are we ever going to get Unity3d support?

As it stands, Unity3D spits out working APKs but the Blackberry runtime chokes on them. Is there going to be a fix in the future or are we just not gonna have Unity3D games on Blackberry Playbook? I'd really love to try out some nice 3D stuff on it without resorting to just basic Java OpenGL.

Regular Contributor
janetsa
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Are we ever going to get Unity3d support?

Smash Cops and Samurai II (both unity3d based games) are available on the Playbook.

You are supposed to port the iOS version of your Unity3D based game to Playbook/BB10.

RIM will never spend the time and energy to recreate their android runtime to run native android apps.

All the games you see on the Playbook --- from angry birds to big 3d games like Samurai II --- are ported from the native c/c++ iOS source code.

New Contributor
gamedevelopersguild
My Device: nons

All the games you see on the Playbook --- from angry birds to big 3d games like Samurai II --- are ported from the native c/c++ iOS source code.

Ok. So Unity spits out C++ iOS code and what, just use the Blackberry Native SDK and fix the issues? Is there actually any developer threads on this or anything? Because I would love to give this a try.

Regular Contributor
janetsa
My Device: Not Specified

RIM has a porting guide for developers wishing to port their iOS apps to BB10.

http://developer.blackberry.com/native/beta/documentation/porting_ios_intro.html

You can also post questions in the native app development section in this forum (instead of the android section).  You can also ask questions in unity's own forums.

7 months ago, Fishlabs (the developer of Galaxy on Fire 2) wrote a blog entry about their effort to port the game to the Playbook.  While they use their own game engine (i.e. they do not use unity's engine) --- it is illustrative of what the process look like.  Galaxy on Fire 2 was launched in iOS in 2010 first, then it was launched on the Sony Xperia PLAY in 2011, then it was launched on various other Android devices with Tegra 2 GPU later in 2011

Then finally Galaxy on Fire 2 was launched in July 2012 on the Playbook.  Guess what?  Fishlabs never touched the Android source code --- it was a direct port from the iOS source code to the Playbook.

http://www.fishlabs.net/en/blog/entering-premium-space-galaxy-on-fire-2-hd-blazes-onto-the-playbook/

Retired
rmadhavan
My Device: Z10

Unity support for BlackBerry 10 coming very soon. Here is more information on how to registering for the Unity SDK Open Beta: http://blogs.unity3d.com/2013/04/19/sign-up-for-early-access-to-the-unity-blackberry-add-on-open-bet...

Ram