Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Runtime Development

Developer
mlant
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Wind

Back Button Does Not Work and Activity Stack Messed Up

I have installed the latest version of the OS2 beta.

My Android app depends heavily on the Android Activity Stack, and the back button to facilitate navigation through the stack. I have discovered that with the new beta, there are two problems:

1. After a few movements through the application, the back button ceases to function. I have a Home option menu item that takes the user to the home Activity, so all is not lost, and the user can at least get back to the main menu. This, however is not an acceptable solution. The back button needs to function.

2. When attempting to re enter the application branch after issue 1 (above), rather than starting at the Activity it should start at, the app goes to the last Activity in the chain. This is the one that was exited from when the Home option menu item was selected. To make matters worse, the back button remains unresponsive, so the desired beginning Activity in the chain is unreachable.

Restarting the app does not solve the problem as the messed up Activity stack gets reloaded in the new instance. Again, the back button is unresponsive, and the first Activity in the chain is unreachable as in item 2 (above)

The app is structured with a Home Activity (think of it as a home page) with six icons on it. Each icon launches a root Activity for that branch of the app. Each of these root branch Activities contains a tabsheet and anywhere from two to five Activities (one per tab). Most of these contained Activities are ListViews. Each of these ListViews contains items that when selected (either using long touch / menu or direct press) launches another Activity. The activity launched depends on the user selection. None of these secondary Activities contains tabs, but each of these Activities can in turn launch additional Activities, and so on... The back button is needed so that the user can move back through the stack (think of this as a list item and selecting the item displays the details). Without the back button, the user cannot get back to the list. With the messed up stack, the user still can't get to the list because trying to reach it from the Home Activity takes the user to the Detail View - not the ListView as it should.

Retaining the stack order, and having an operational back button is absolutely essential to this app, and I believe equally critical to a number of other apps that people will try running on the PlayBook.

Michael

Please use plain text.
Developer
mlant

Re: Back Button Does Not Work and Activity Stack Messed Up

I have installed the latest SDK and I am happy to report that all of the issues mentioned in my original post (and a few more not listed in that message) have been resolved.

The back button now works, activity stack now stays in the correct order, screen fragmenting no longer occures, etc...

My app is now usable.

Good Job RIM!

Please use plain text.
Developer
mlant

Re: Back Button Does Not Work and Activity Stack Messed Up

I spoke too soon.  The non-functional back button problem has returned. It takes longer for it to happen than previously, but it is still a problem. Interestingly, the swipe to go back is also non-functional.

Michael

Please use plain text.