Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Runtime Development

Regular Contributor
Fraggle222
My Device: Simulator !!!
My Carrier: 8608800458

Back button not showing for Android apps on Z10? Swipe down from top not working.

On the simulator, swipe down from the top reveals a back button when inside an Android app.

Can anyone with an actual Z10 device verify whether this works by default for all Android apps? 

Please use plain text.
Developer
mreed
My Device: ಠ_ಠ

Re: Back button not showing for Android apps on Z10? Swipe down from top not working.

Yes, it does. You can pin it so it stays there too. You can also swipe bottom to left at a steep angle to go back.

http://www5.pcmag.com/media/images/312324-blackberry-10-android-gesture-tutorial.png

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Fraggle222

Re: Back button not showing for Android apps on Z10? Swipe down from top not working.

Do you have an actual Z10? I've had a user tell me the swipe down from top isn't working. I don't think he's tried the other gesture, I'll see he can do it.
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Fraggle222

[ Edited ]

User is reporting now that the swipe diagonally from bottom gesture is working. But still says the swipe down from top does not.

Regardless it is quite serious if Z10 users don't know these gestures well it implies we need to instruct them or provide dedicated back buttons.

I guess one user may not be enough to go on, so I would love to hear more on this.

Please use plain text.
Developer
ndsmyter
My Device: Limited Edition Z10, Playbook 16GB/32GB, Dev Alpha A/B/C
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

If I am not mistaking, there is a back button at the bottom of every Android app by default. It is in a kind of menubar, that is shown by default. The user can hide this menubar, but it then better knows how to go back in the app. If I am not mistaking this kind of back navigation is explained when the user first uses the Android emulator (or if (s)he clicks the Info button).

A like is always appreciated,
but a nomination for BB Elite even more :-)
You can also contact me on Twitter: @ndsmyter
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Fraggle222

@ndsmyter: I appreciate the info, but at this point only testing on a real device will suffice. Since user is reporting different experience than emulators.

In emulator swipe down from top will reveal the back button at the bottom, but I don't believe it shows by default or at least once hidden it will not show for any Android apps by default. Not sure if it showed the first time or not (might have).
Please use plain text.
Developer
ndsmyter

[ Edited ]

My experience with the PlayBook device is this:

• First time opened, I got a small tutorial explaining the back button swipe
  • After that tutorial, the bottom menu bar was enabled by default. On that menubar at the bottom there is a back button, an info button (this will explain the user the back button), and a button to hide that menubar by default or not.
  • If I now swipe down from the top, I get the Android menu settings on top (Menu button behaviour on Android device), and also the bottom menu bar that pops up.
  • If the bar is hidden, I can choose to hide it by default or not.

In the simulator some of the buttons on the menubar at the bottom are not working. For example the Info button wasn't working when I last tried it, which was about a month ago.

Although it is not from a Z10, I guess that behaviour is the same. At least that is what BlackBerry keeps saying. I hope this can help you on the current behaviour on a real device.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Fraggle222

Helpful to know how the playbook behaves, but really need a Z10 owner to respond.

If Z10 user says that it's not showing when they swipe down from top, then either user is not capable (possible) or this functionality is different on the Z10 than on simulators and playbook. I did instruct user to swipe down from top a few ways (from top of visual screen, as well as from off the screen at the top), he claimed to swipe "every way possible", and couldn't get the bottom bar to show. Still it could be user error, who knows.
Please use plain text.
AES443
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: verizon

I have the Z10. I have a difficult time using the Kindle app. If I remove the menu bar at the bottom of the page, I can not bring it back. Swiping down from the top of the screen, will not bring the menu bar back. Basically, I am stuck in the book I am reading, with no way to get back to my library etc. The only way I can see my library, is by deleting and reloading the app.
Please use plain text.
Developer
ndsmyter

I have tested the functionality on the Z10, and it basically works like this.

- IF bottom bar is visible (by default)
> Pressing overflow button on bottom bar gives access to the menu of the app, pressing again will hide the menu of the app
> Swiping down has no effect
- IF bottom bar is hidden
> Swiping down shows the bottom bar, swiping down again will hide the bottom emulator bar
> Pressing Overflow button on bar when made visible will show the menu of the app

So that means when the bottom bar is hidden, there is no way to view the menu of the app. First the bottom bar has to be made visible again (can be temporarily), and then the overflow button has to be pressed.

I hope this helps ?

Please use plain text.