Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Runtime Development

New Contributor
Canuckvoip
My Device: Z30
Accepted Solution

Best way to convert .apk to .bar?

Have legal .apk and need advice on which step to take
Hi all,
I have been given permission to use an .apk file in order to help the company that created it get it working on BB10.
I have downloaded and installed Android SDK, Eclipse (failed with the plugin), and the BB native NDK.
I am not sure what the best method is to take. This is a communications app for business PBX including a softphone.
I have gone through xsacha's method before 10.2 and successfully gotten the app to work (slightly buggy). After 10.2 install the app stopped working perhaps because of a debug token issue. Currently trying the method again but waiting for keys.
That being said, the goal is to get the app working properly on my phone without being tied to my pin, and give the working .bar file back to
the company so they can finish testing and submit it to Appworld themselves.
I tried the native NDK and because I'm a rookie only ended up with a spinning graphic on my phone. Ha!
Which method would you use, Eclipse, or native NDK?
I noticed that the app performs better on the BB10 simulator running 10.2.0.1155
I'm running 10.2.0.1047 leak and the app runs but crashed after single use.
Cheers,
Dave
New Contributor
Canuckvoip

Re: Best way to convert .apk to .bar?

Now have Eclipse and sdk working properly I believe. Going to try importing the .apk
New Contributor
Canuckvoip

Would I be better off asking for the source code from the original dev/company?
Retired
mwhiteman
My Device: BlackBerry 10

As a first step, you need to verify what APIs the application is using. Not all APIs are supported. You can do this in both eclipse or with the CMD line tools by running apk2barVerifier.

If the application uses native code, this will not be supported or be accepted into BlackBerry World. If you can only get the application running via the method you described, this is likely the case.

For full documentation on our tooling and supported APIs, please see https://developer.blackberry.com/android/documentation/ and https://developer.blackberry.com/android/apisupport/

Cheers

Matt Whiteman
Product Manager, Android, BlackBerry Java & Simulators
New Contributor
Canuckvoip

Thanks Matt,

I'll test the .apk sometime tonight. I suspect it will have native code as you suggest.

I appreciate your help!

Cheers,

Dave