Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Runtime Development

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: +
Accepted Solution

Blackberry Server : “Qnx/Android” is not supported

[ Edited ]

I'm converting my Android app (apk) to Blackberry OS 10 (bar).

Everything is ok if i install the bar file to my BB.

But when I try to upload to our BB server to deploy to software to the Z10, i have the problem:

"Qnx/Android" is not supported

I found the root cause here:

It is currently not possible to add Android applications to the work perimeter on the BlackBerry Playbook tablet or BlackBerry 10 smartphone; this is by design.

Since all applications added to the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet or BlackBerry 10 smartphone via BlackBerry Device Service are installed in the work perimeter, Android applications cannot be installed.

Alternatively, Android applications can be successfully downloaded directly into the personal perimeter on the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet or BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

What's should i do now? I need to install my app to more hundred of BB10.

Can i reuse my Android code? If can't, what's the best solution, best language if i must to write all the code from scratch.

Thanks you

Trusted Contributor
My Device: PlayBook, Z10, Q10

Re: Blackberry Server : “Qnx/Android” is not supported

Hi,

Yes, unfortunately Android apps can't be added to the Work perimeter.

I suppose you have an enterprise app which is not meant to be published to BB World; and even from BB World your users would still be able to install it only to their personal perimeter on the device.

Currently there is no other way to reuse Java code as it is. Depending on the type of your app I would consider to port it to C++, or maybe to html5 if the business logic permits.

Actually the other way around would work: once you have a C++ code you could directly reuse a well separated C++ code base on Android (and iOS, maybe Linux) and keep the ui platform specific.

However it is quite embarassing indeed to re-implement / port everything for an app what is otherwise running fine on BB10...

--
If you find this post useful please Like it.
If it solves your problem please mark as solution.
Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: +

can i use blackberry java sdk 7.1.0.10 for bb 10?

I want to code with Java

Thanks you

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha B
My Carrier: Bell

Hey Zuzoo, 

imre_m is correct.

There is no way to use the BlackBerry Java on BB10. The only environment that you can run any Java code on BB10 is the Android runtime.

The best solution for you here, would be to re-write in native Cascades. That way, you could install to the enterprise perimeter, will get better performance and also gain access to a wide variety of features (bluetooth, maps, share, etc).

Justin

Justin Jasmann | Android Application Development Consultant
Developer Relations
developer.blackberry.com