Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Runtime Development

Developer
rruzic
My Device: Simulator - developer
My Carrier: No provider

Blackberry Simulator freezes at "START SERVICE: screen" - screen core dump

When I start the simulator in VMWare, it stops at the step "START SERVICE: screen". I have seen suggestions, that the solution is to get better hardware, so i assigned 2 cores to the virtual machine and given it the nice lever of -20. The problem persisted.

Even if the virtual machine seems to hang at the said stage, i can still telnet into the machine. In the /var/log/ directory i found a core file of the screen binary. If i try to run screen (as it is run in the init script), it immediately dumps core.

If I choose the safe mode at boot, the simulator boots normally, but then the Android runtime doesn't work as expected.

This happens on all simulators I have tried so far:

BlackBerry10Simulator-BB10_0_10-261

BlackBerry10Simulator-BB10_1_X-1020

BlackBerryPlayBookSimulator-2.1.0

Environment:

Kernel: Ubuntu stock 3.2.0-39-generic-pae

CPU: Intel Core2Duo

RAM: 4GB RAM

Graphics: onboard Intel Series 4

VMWare: VMWare player 5.0.2 build 1031769 for Linux

Is there a way around this? I need to test a port of an Android app to BlackBerry, but i can not run the Simulator properly.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
daryl_martin
My Device: N/A
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Blackberry Simulator freezes at "START SERVICE: screen" - screen core dump

The simulator doesn't play well with two cores, so can you please set it back to single core and reboot again? 

If the simulator stops booting at "START SERVICE: screen" it's because we can't detect a 3D capable card in VMware.  Can you make sure that you're graphics drivers are the ones provided to you by the vendor?  I'm not sure how good the Intel Linux support is.

Note:  The next version of the simulator will have android working in safe mode.  We had to make substantial changes to enable the android player in our software renderer. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
rruzic

Running on single core makes no difference, the init procedure stops at the same point.

Regarding graphics, i have also checked for proper 3D graphics support (i.e. glxinfo returns a set of supported GL features). The drivers are stock, the ones installed by Ubuntu, I believe they ship with Intel's binaries (but i am unsure). In any case, 3D acceleration is fully functional on the host machine.

If i understand correctly, you are saying that if I had a NVidia or an ATI graphics adapter, the simulator would run properly?

When is the new version of the simulator with functional android runtime due to be released?

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
daryl_martin
My Device: N/A
My Carrier: Rogers

Could you send or attach your VMware log files?  Usually it will print a warning as to why it can't it can't enable 3D acceleration.   

I know most Intel cards should be supported as we use them in windows environments regularly.  Maybe there is a missing GL Extension in the Linux drivers that’s causing VMware to balk. 

There is an updated release coming this month. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
rruzic

daryl_martin, the vmware message log is completely empty. I also checked if there were any settings, where i could switch on logging, but i found none. I found some logs in the .vmware directory, i am attaching those.

I am also attaching detailed host system information (in the file hostinfo.txt), including the output of glxinfo command, which details all supported GL extensions. the file also contains a bunch of system information, just to avoid ambiguity.

From the stalled simulator i copied the /var/log directory, which includes the screen core file. I am also attaching that.

Here are the files:

hostinfo.txt

vmware logs

simulator /var/log directory

Please excuse the countdown annoyance in file downloads, this message board doesn't support file attachments, so i had to put them elsewhere.

Please use plain text.