Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Runtime Development

New Developer
sdsm0015
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Blackberry should charge for Google Play

I know the biggest complaint I have heard form people is having to repay for apps that they have already purchased on android or are not available at all. why doesn't Blackberry enable the market but charge like $.25 an install off of it. Or charge for the app to be installed. It seems like they could make a a ton of money and also attract a lot more people. Thoughts?

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Blackberry should charge for Google Play

[ Edited ]

Because if RIM did that, there would be no way for RIM to protect your PlayBook from Android malware. Plus, the apps need to be recompiled to be used on the PlayBook. Not all apps work correctly right from the Android Market.

I know this idea is tempting, but it would also open up a lot of issues. Not sure I think it would be a good idea.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
Developer
TheVaan
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Telefonica Germany

[ Edited ]

I think it wouldn't be a good idea. already said it: Not every app is working right now on PlayBook. I think MOST of the apps would not work. There are so many apps using camera. Also there are a bunch of root-permission-needed apps. Both are app types that are (currently) not working. Also there are many apps with widgets - and as we know: Widgets are not working so every app that contains a widget wouldn't work on the PlayBook.

If RIM includes the Play Store to the PlayBook there would be many users crying because so many apps aren't working on their devices.

And your point with the costs of an app: If you switch from an iPhone to an Android device you have to buy the apps again, too.

You are right that it sucks if you have to buy an app multiple time, but that's the same with cars: You can't say to your local car dealer "can you reduce the price? I bought the radio already at an other car shop and I don't want to pay again for it" :smileytongue: 

Regards

Regular Contributor
matale
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: none

RIM couldn't just do this because they dont have the legal right to. Google owns Google Play, unlike Android Google Play is not open source. Not to mention all the other issues with compatibility.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
sdsm0015

It’s a shame. I can't even get a decent PDF reader. No netflix. Very limited app selection. For it being a business oriented device it is not very compatible. I really am trying to give it a chance. It just can't do much yet. I like the speed and OS design but that's about it so far.

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto

What isn't sufficient about the Adobe Reader? It does work, even though its a basic app.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
New Developer
sdsm0015

It won't open pdf's. I had to download qpdf(I believe) for them to open. Both are very basic apps.

Please use plain text.
Developer
TheVaan
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Telefonica Germany

Maybe you are doing something wrong? On my PlayBook Adobe Reader works perfectly.

Elite I
Krypto

Yup, Adobe works fine here. Try deleting it from your PlayBook and then redownload it from App World. That should help.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
sdsm0015

It won't let me delete adobe. It is greyed out. It also doesn't come up under security to change its permissions.

Please use plain text.