Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Runtime Development

Developer
My Device: Simulator - developer
My Carrier: No provider

Camera API support

Hello,

our application uses Android's Camera (android.hardware.Camera) API extensively, and we have learned, that BlackBerry's Android runtime support for it is rather shaky. Some features are not functioning at all (they feel like no-op functions), while others are broken (e.g. Camera.AutoFocusCallback).

Is there an informal document about this module somewhere? Can anybody tell us what can be used and what can't?

Developer
My Device: Simulator - developer
My Carrier: No provider

Re: Camera API support

Hello,

I posted this question months ago, and have recieved no response. This is a pressing issue for us, since our application uses camera extensively.

This is a list of API features, where Camera API on BlackBerry's Android Runtime differs significantly from Android Proper

1. Programatic autofocus does not actually focus

2. Autofocus callback does not go away after it does its job, it keeps being called (on Android proper Autofocus callback runs once and is unhooked)

3. Programatic Autofocus takes a horrifically long time, it stops the display for about a second, it takes so long, that it confuses users, especially since they are used to the snappy default system camera

4. Camera preview callback data buffer fails to refresh after a while it refreshes for some time, then it just hangs on a frame and keeps pushing that frame

I could go on, but these four issues are the ones, that are the most pressing for us, we can not live with those issues.

Is there any news regarding Camera API wrappers? We are willing to work with BlackBerry engineers to test and pinpoint bugs in Android Runtime, as we did on a number of previous issues. If there is anything we can do to speed up the fixing fo these bugs, please let us know.

Cordially,

Rok Ružič