Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Runtime Development

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Verizon

Camera does not rotate to landscape orientation

My Android app calls startActivityForResult(), passing the

android.provider.MediaStore.ACTION_IMAGE_CAPTURE intent. The native camera app displays without a problem. And I am able to take a picture and access the resulting image file. However, regardless of what orientation I rotate the device to (portrait, landscape, reverse landscape) while the camera is displayed, the images always display in portrait orientation. Futhermore, the camera UI controls (< back button and ... menu button) do not get repositioned to bottom-left and bottom-right respectively as they do when the Camera app is run in normal, standalone mode, not via Android intent launch.

Is this a bug or limitation of the BB camera app when launched with the Android intent? Or is there a way to get the camera app to change orientation automatically in response to the device orientation?

I'm testing this on a Z10 with BB OS v10.1.0.2039. 

I should also point out that images taken this way with the device in landscape mode are not rotated to the correct orientation either. They always appear in portrait mode. I also looked into the ExifInterface orienation of the resulting image files, and they are always reported as being in portrait orientation, so I cannot work around the camera issue by rotating them since I can't tell which way they need to be rotated.