Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Runtime Development

Developer
My Device: Simulator - developer
My Carrier: No provider

Camera in Android Runtime

Hello,

I have an application, that takes a picture using Android's Camera class. The Camera class in BlackBerry's Android Runtime is behaving very differently, then when running in Android proper.

Camera.autoFocus() and Camera.takePicture() calls take a very long time to complete (especially compared to Blackberry's native Camera application, which is quite snappy). We are considering dropping use of Camera API in BlackBerry all together.

So here's the question: Is there another way to take a picture on BlackBerry in Android Runtime and import it into you application? Can I use a camera intent to get the system camera? If not, are there any workarounds, tweaks, corrections for the unusable Camera API? I would really appreciate any suggestions, and if anybody has any experience with the camera in BlackBerry Android Runtime, I would appreciate any tips.

Thank you.

Developer

Re: Camera in Android Runtime

We gave up on Android's Camera API on BlackBerry. The Camera object is really badly integrated in BlackBerry, so we instead opted for running the system camera application, which does the job really well. We had to give up our branding, our ads, and the overall look and feel out app provides the user with.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha B
My Carrier: Bell

Hey rruzic,

Which OS version were you testing against?

I would guess that there are more improvements in this area if you test against 10.2.

Justin

Justin Jasmann | Android Application Development Consultant
Developer Relations
developer.blackberry.com
Developer

Hello,

I was testing against 10.1.0.238.

Testing is OK, but we can not release against 10.2, since there aren't any devices in production yet. Or are they?

Cordially,

Rok Ružič

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha B
My Carrier: Bell

Hey rruzic,

10.2 is in production, yes. It released back in October.

You can pickup an Autoloader from here: https://developer.blackberry.com/devzone/blackberry10devalpha/allautoloaders.html

Justin

Justin Jasmann | Android Application Development Consultant
Developer Relations
developer.blackberry.com
Developer

There seems to be an improvement in 10.2, especially regarding procedure duration. The user no longer has to endure long flashes of blank black screen when zoom is done. We are thinking about reverting to our own camera implementation.