Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Runtime Development

New Contributor
CurlyTailCode
My Device: PlayBook

Converted GPS app never asks for GPS location permission and fails to function

After receiving my free playbook (thanks), I am trying to convert one of my android apps that uses GPS, over to blackberry.  The app uses "android.permission.ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION".  In my playbook, the app never prompts for the permission to access GPS location, and the app hangs trying to get a fix.  The GPS on the playbook does work for other apps (eventually), and those apps (GPSInfo and Poynt) display the prompt about GPS location.  I have also tried ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION with the same results.

The online compatibility checker issued no warnings about my apk, and the above permissions are not amongst the unsupported permissions.  Also, I am not using Google Maps at all.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Final question:  Is there any android developer who has successfully converted a GPS app over to the playbook and had it function properly.  If so, what permissions did your app request (in the AndroidManifest.xml file) and what other steps did you take to get it to work?

Thanks.

Visitor
molson0
My Device: playbook 9800

Re: Converted GPS app never asks for GPS location permission and fails to function

Do you have this in your xml file ?

<rim:smileytongue:ermissions> <rim:smileytongue:ermit>read_geolocation</rim:smileytongue:ermit> </rim:smileytongue:ermissions>

New Contributor
CurlyTailCode
My Device: PlayBook

Re: Converted GPS app never asks for GPS location permission and fails to function

Thanks for the suggestion.  I did try that, but unfortunately, that seems to be only for the WebWorks SDK, and not for the android conversion.  If I put that in the AndroidManifest.xml, it won't compile.  Any other thoughts?  I have posted this over on stackoverflow also, and as it stands now, I have gotten no replies.  I will give it another day or two, and then submit a bug report.