Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Runtime Development

New Developer
ened
My Device: Playbook

Re: Developers Start here!

Hi there & happy to port my App to the Playbook.

Got it running basically and hope remaining issues can be solved.

Read about my progress here: http://b.ivity.asia/2012/02/08/deploying-testing-android-apps-on-the-blackberry-playbook/

Also did not receive a eMail to activate my account yet. Hope to test it on a REAL device, as the simulator does not (or should not?) reflect the real world Playbook experience.

Thanks,

Sebastian

Please use plain text.
Developer
Brainstem
My Device: Playbook Simulator

[ Edited ]

*replying*

Very nice move from RIM to allow Android apps to be easily converted to Blackberry. Good idea from RIM's point of view and the developers point of view.

Is there any documentation regarding how to move up in ranks? I.E What post count etc get you where?

If BBDevCon is being held in Amsterdam again next year it would only cost me around £200 to get there.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
rmatec
My Device: Playbook simulator

Hi!

I'm new too. I'm very interested in the deployment of already made Android apps.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
sdsm0015

I have had people wanting some of my android apps on blackberry for a bit. This playbook offer gave me the nudge. Have not been successful yet in submitting. I have been haveing troubles with making the cod file. Good to see that RIM wanted to support android though. Cheers!

Please use plain text.
New Developer
inggy

Count me in!

Please use plain text.
New Developer
jasonk1229
My Device: Developer

Greetings,

I am a newly registered developer after reading through a few of the forums its really great to see a supportive community. I am a college graduate with a B.S. in Computer Science, I hope to contribute to the app world and become friends with some people in the forums! Have a great day

jason

Please use plain text.
New Developer
Arialia
My Device: Developper

New too in tablet developping ,

just package and submit my little android application to App World

i've test on simulator but it is very long what is screen size and dpi of tablet playbook ?

As my application was developp for smartphone , i'm afraid than my button and graphics seems too small on real device.

On my tablet Archos ( gift for my birthday last month) all seems ok except background ... must really change it i think

Application android ported : AriaDice

Please use plain text.
New Developer
ian_mac123
My Device: Playbook simulator

[ Edited ]

Hi Guys,

I started programming android apps a few months ago with a few fairly successful apps on the android market. The offer of getting a free playbook has enticed me to finally port some of my apps over to Blackberry but seem to be having problems testing it on the simulator (made a separate thread for help) and now panicking that I wont get anything submitted in time before the deadline tomorrow :smileyfrustrated:

Please use plain text.
New Developer
asgarddesigns
My Device: -

Greetings people,

I have been watching the playbook with some interest since its announcement, and the device did not disappoint. Great performance for the specs, and I like the UI. I've held off developing as I've been waiting to deploy via the android runtime and at least at the start, what I was hearing was that development and registration sounded to be a pain.

So here I am and I've converted my app using the eclipse plugin. Problem is it's not been very successful.

1. LVL is not supported so releasing here looks to be dangerous in that a subset of my code will be somewhat easier to reverse engineer and pirate. There's no replacement that I could find at short notice.
  2. Telephony isn't supported. My app is primarily telephony based, however it has other uses, so I carried on.
  3. Conversion was pretty simple but the result was... well... terrible! Testing using the playbook simulator resulted in constant flickering, bizarre artifacts and patchy performance (granted it's a VM). The worst part is that any screen with a blinking cursor in a textinput causes the whole screen to resize on every cursor blink, showing artifacts from old activities.

I've tried removing styling, reverting to older versions that weren't using compat libraries (for ICS stuff) and setting everything to target the 2.3.3 runtime only and the result has been the same. I'm not talking complex layouts either, two labels, a text entry and a button for my main page.

I am sure there are fixes for these issues (at least I hope so) with the real killer being point 3. Maybe when I have time I'll have another look, but my suspicion is that native is the only real option for me.

The problem is, releasing something this bad hurts me as a developer more than a free playbook is worth, which is unfortunate as both myself and my wife were big fans when we played with one, but I guess I will wait. 

I hope that others here have had more luck than I have, it's certainly a great idea and a great way to promote the platform while getting devices in developers hands.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
kajan
My Device: Playbook emulator - soon playbook?

Hi!
I'm a new bb-developer coming from android :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.