Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Runtime Development

Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

Email Attachments from Android App

In my Android app I create a png and csv file and attach them to an email.  When I try this on the Playbook the email is created successfully however the attachments are not added.  I'm guessing its something to do with the directory where I'm storing the attachments and permissions, etc.

Any suggestions on what I may need to change to add the attachments?

Contributor
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Email Attachments from Android App

Ive tried a number of things - html vs plain text mail, changing file locations, etc, etc.  I can't get this to work. 

Wherever I store the .png file it does appear in the 'pictures' section when you manually hit the attachment button from the email client.  So I just put some extra text in the body of the email telling the user to do that - unfortunately the file browser doesn't show the file name so they won't know which one to pick...  Oh well.

My biggest problem is that the file browser doesn't show the .csv files at all.  I renamed it to .xls manually and it appeared right away.  So, near as I can tell, there's no way to attach a csv file automatically or manually.

For now I've just put an entry in the FAQ in my app to explain how people can access them files through the connection to the computer.  I also have backup to dropbox functionality (which is REALLY easy to implement by the way) to they can use that too. 

If anyone has other ideas to try I would love to hear them.

Contributor
My Device: Playbook - Android Developer
My Carrier: None

I'm facing the same problem and it's really frustrating...

Contributor

I have this same issue... I create a htm file and a csv file... Any better way of attaching them....
Contributor

@marklogan... Just sent you a PM also.. Can you please guide on how to implement the dropbox functionality in the android app... Thanks...

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

I have the same issue.  I think I'm going to have to hold off on porting my Android app. There are currently too many issues like this. So 'almost there'. Frustrating.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

FYI I did a quick test, which worked. This appears to have been fixed now in the OS 2.0 update a few days ago.