Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Runtime Development

Contributor
abenoit
My Device: BB10 Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Free
Accepted Solution

Getting logs from smartphone

Hi everyone,

I couldn't find this information on the page "Testing your repackaged app on a BlackBerry device" so I hope someone here can help :

I have an application that was deployed on a phone (using blackberry-deploy.bat from a signed bar file) and sometimes some features don't work, but if I debug the application from eclipse on the same phone, it seems to work every time.

So I need to retrieve the logs from the application on the smartphone when the features don't work so I can figure out what is wrong. But I can't find how to read the application logs from the smartphone when it was not running in debug mode from eclipse.

So here is my question : How can I read an application's log from a smartphone when it's not connected to a debug launch in eclipse ? (something similar to adb logcat for standard android development ?)

Thanks,

Antoine

Please use plain text.
Contributor
abenoit

Re: Getting logs from smartphone

One more thing : when adb detects my BB10 device, I can see my apps' logs with logcat.

However, I cannot get adb to detect my BB10 device unless I deploy an application from eclipse.

But since I'm testing an application that I deployed from a bar file and not from eclipse, I would like to be able to use adb logcat (or some equivalent tool) without having to use a debug launch on eclipse.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
abenoit

Re: Getting logs from smartphone

Hi everyone,

Found the solution on an external blog. Thanks to its author for sharing this. In case someone else needs it, his post is here : http://www.ivity.asia/2012/02/08/deploying-testing-android-apps-on-the-blackberry-playbook/

To sum it up, it is actually quite simple. Here are the steps : (I'm doing it on windows, so I use the .bat version of scripts)

- First, you need to use blackberry-connect.bat, and to do that, you need to create an RSA key. If you don't have one yet, create it : It's the same used for SSH connection on the device. Here is some explanations on this :

http://blog.skufel.net/2012/07/how-to-access-blackberry-playbook-via-ssh/

- Once you have your key, use blackberry-connect.bat to connect to the device :

blackberry-connect.bat %DEVICE_IP% -password %DEVICE_PWD% -sshPublicKey %PUB_KEY_FILE%

- Once that connection is set up (keep it open), you need to connect with adb :

adb connect %DEVICE_IP%

This command prints something like : connected to 169.254.0.1:5555

This tells you where to connect your logcat

- Start logcat :

adb -s 169.254.0.1:5555 logcat -v time

(replace 169.254.0.1:5555 with what adb connect printed)

There you go !

Antoine

Please use plain text.