Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Runtime Development

Developer
barees63
My Device: 8320, 9500, 9700

Has anyone got the Android Dropbox API working on the Z10?

My app uses the Dropbox API, works fine on the PlayBook but appears to fail on the Z10 (from user reports, I don't have one myself).  The error is a failure to open a "db-" Uri, I'm assuming the difference is because PlayBook had no DB integration.  

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
nMarriott
My Device: Z10 LE

Re: Has anyone got the Android Dropbox API working on the Z10?

Hi, 

I did.

A few things.

Firstly getting the Oath token needs an Android browser. Even then though its hit and miss which work. 

Ones that are signed from Blackberry World don't, neither will the stock browser pass the token back to the app.

This is because the Android runtime on the Z10 is generally more integrated than on the PB.

eg on the PB anything like web links open in the runtimes browser then there is a menu option to open the link in the native one. 

To get round this to authenticate you personally could ever sideload a browser, Skyfire works for me, Or even the Dropbox android app. I did the latter when I still had a Dev Alpha and that worked fine for testing.

(The latest dropbox apk does not work for me).

This though is not a choice for production, would fail BlackBerry testing for a start.

From what I have experinced with this. 

I would suggest to you that you abandon the dropbox core api for the Z10 altogether.

I'd get the user to manually pin the dropbox folder required so it keeps changes in sync locally and on DB. 

That way your android app should be able to use the data.

(I havent tested this yet , but Its what I am going to do).

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
nMarriott
My Device: Z10 LE

Re: Has anyone got the Android Dropbox API working on the Z10?

Another thing. 

I switched to the new Sync api for Dropbox, which generally seems easier and more robust. 

only thing is it is native so only Android compatible. 

I was planning to use an Intent to open the BB file manager to get the user to pin Dropbox.

Please use plain text.