Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Runtime Development

Trusted Contributor
harsha973
My Device: 8300
My Carrier: vodqafone

How to overcome limitations in porting

I'm facing some problems in porting Android apps with google maps and having .so libraries. Without removing the complete functionalities of google maps and native libraries, is there any alternate way to succesfully build and port the android applicaiton?

Thanks & Regards,

Sha.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Fraggle222
My Device: Simulator !!!
My Carrier: 8608800458

Re: How to overcome limitations in porting

Well you definitely cannot use the Google Maps Android api. What I've done is replace the Google maps Android api with the same functionality built using a web view and Google Maps Javascript API.
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
janetsa
My Device: Not Specified

The first question is that should you even start off with porting from your Android source code in the first place.  Most app developers can't live on Android revenue alone --- which means that they have an iOS version of the app.  It may be simpler to port your native iOS app to native BB10 app.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Fraggle222

@janetsa->huh? Why would they port their iOS app (if they even have one which is a big assumption)?

This board is for Android runtime development. Meaning, re-package your Android apps and deploy for BB10 in like 1 day instead of re-writing an entire app.
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
janetsa
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

Which is techinically IMPOSSIBLE to do when you have native codes in your existing Android app and try to make it run on BB10.  There is no technical way to run Linux binaries in QNX.

So the OP can wait until our sun to go supernova or the OP has to find an alternative method (which is to see if it is simpler for him to port his existing native iOS source code to native BB10).  Either that or the OP has to completely rewrite his existing Android app by removing all the extra features that were written in native codes to rewriting them in Dalvik codes.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Fraggle222

@janetsa, well ok, don't want to start a fight about this, but we don't even know what he's using those .so libraries for. Might be a simple workaround, plus if he could do it iOS without native code why can't he do it in Android without native code?

Anyway I just think your assumption that he even has an iOS app that doesn't include these problems is a bit odd, maybe those same issues stopped him from porting to iOS too, but whatever.

Let's let it go.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
harsha973
My Device: 8300
My Carrier: vodqafone

@Fraggle222 Thanks for the reply. The solution you have provided for Google maps implementation is a good enough . Anyways i will try it once.

And do you have any idea to find an alternate solution to use .so files?

@janetsa I don't care about other platforms as i'm basically an Android developer. Hope this will answer your question?

Please use plain text.