Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Runtime Development

New Contributor
haninteractive
My Device: BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha B

How to protect copying our paid app from Blackberry world??

Hi...

We are planning to release Android paid app to Blackberry world, however we are worried about copying our paid app from Blackberry world to public, and everybody can use it without paying. On Google Play market, we are using Android Market License Verification Library, but we could not find anything like this..

How to protect our app copyed from Blackberry world?? Is it not possible?? Or is there any ways to protect it??

Please let us know, if you have any experience for it..

Thanks in advance... :smileyhappy:

Developer
Developer
mb1
My Device: Not Specified

Re: How to protect copying our paid app from Blackberry world??

Appworld offers both static and dynamic licensing
New Contributor
haninteractive

Hi.. Thanks for your reply.

Actually I am new on Blackberry development. Sorry.. please give me more details...

I also saw the static licensing model when I added new product to Blackberry world vendor portal, but I am just wondering, whether, even I set the license model, user can copy our app from his device and spread it to public and everyone can put it on their device without paying, or not? Is it not possible totally?? Is Blackberry device preventing it automatically?? I wish to know how the static licensing model working..

Looking forward to hearing soon...

Thanks in advance..
New Developer
Dexo
My Device: 8520

use dynamic licensing , thorugh this the app will be generated a specific key which will only run when the app gets connceted to your server and checks whther this app is registered or not.

Developer
barees63
My Device: 8320, 9500, 9700

Dexo wrote:

use dynamic licensing , thorugh this the app will be generated a specific key which will only run when the app gets connceted to your server and checks whther this app is registered or not.

The problem with this is that there is no obvious (at least to me) way to implement this on the BB10 Android Player now that it's no longer possible to obtain the device PIN (10.1 beta/Q10) , what do you use as a reference for the license check?  

At one point I was prompting the user for the PIN and license key but then BlackBerry stopped providing the license key to end-users.

There is also the issue of multiple device support, for instance if a user purchases a license for a PlayBook then BlackBerry World will not allow them to purchase for a Z10, this is fair enough - I don't think you should pay twice on the same platform however for several months the BlackBerry license requests were not including an email address for QNX purchases so PIN was the only reliable mechanism.

I'd love to be set straight on any of this because at the moment it looks like a huge mess to me.

New Contributor
haninteractive

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your reply.

Could I ask one simple question? According to your reply, if we use static license model, a user can copy and spread it to public, and everyone can install it to use without paying? Is it possible?

Thanks.