Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Runtime Development

Developer
rruzic
My Device: Simulator - developer

How to register my Android app as ContentHandler for file types in BlackBerry?

Hello,

I have an android app, that handles a number of file types, such as .doc, .pdf, .odt and others. When i install it on BlackBerry, the content handler API for Android is ignored. 

How should i go about making my android app a content handler for those file types in BlackBerry? I need to make my app one of the handlers that are offered to the user, when files like .pdf are opened.

Cordially,

Rok Ruzic

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
bbenninger
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: How to register my Android app as ContentHandler for file types in BlackBerry?

At the moment this is not supported (well actually it'd be supported from one Android app to another, but that's unfortunately it).

We don't currently have a mechanism for Android apps to be handlers of data outside of the Android context.  It's something we'd like to address eventually.

Please use plain text.
Developer
rruzic
My Device: Simulator - developer

Re: How to register my Android app as ContentHandler for file types in BlackBerry?

bbenninger, thank you for your explaination.

So, if I understand correctly, i can not even start an Android app from a Native app? If i could do that, i could make a clumsy workaround in the form of a native app that would serve as a sort of a proxy between Blackberry system and my Android app. The idea was to make a native app, that would only register as a content handler and then transfer the data onto my Android app?

Is there a way of doing that? If anybody has an idea for a workaround, i'm ready to listen.

Please use plain text.