Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Runtime Development

New Contributor
SamJai
My Device: Simulator Playbook
My Carrier: None
Accepted Solution

Invoke email activity via app

I'm using PlayBook simulator to test my android app. I'm having trouble testing html email sending capability. I'm using following code to send an email in current android app.

Intent intent = new Intent(android.content.Intent.ACTION_SEND);
intent.setType("text/html"); 
context.startActivity(Intent.createChooser(intent,
getEmailChooserTitle()));

This code works fine on android devices(shows a list of apps that can send email, and when one app is selected shows compose email, etc.), but when testing this on PlayBook simulator, it doesn't display any list of app or compose email screen.

Is there alternate suggested way to send email via PlayBook?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
mwhiteman
My Device: BlackBerry 10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Invoke email activity via app

Hello,

Unfortunately there is no support for composing and sending email from the Android Runtime for BlackBerry PlayBook. In BlackBerry 10, we support the ability to invoke the native email composing card, which allows the support you are looking for.

Cheers,

Matt Whiteman
Product Manager, Android, BlackBerry Java & Simulators
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
SamJai

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the reply. Would have really liked the feature in Playbook simulator to be able to atleast test the functionality upto composing card to make sure our clients are able to use the functionality.

Just making sure since you didn't mention "simulator" in:

"Unfortunately there is no support for composing and sending email from the Android Runtime for BlackBerry PlayBook."

Does this mean that this functionality is not availabe on "Physical Device" also and will be only supported on Blackberry 10 devices?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
SamJai

Just making sure since you didn't mention "simulator" in:

"Unfortunately there is no support for composing and sending email from the Android Runtime for BlackBerry PlayBook."

Does this mean that this functionality is not availabe on "Physical Device" also and will be only supported on Blackberry 10 devices?

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
mwhiteman
My Device: BlackBerry 10
My Carrier: Rogers

Yes, this is only supported in BlackBerry 10. You can check out the release notes for the BlackBerry 10 Gold release of the Android Runtime SDK for all the new BlackBerry 10 Android support. http://developer.blackberry.com/android/documentation/bb_runtime_release_notes.html

Matt Whiteman
Product Manager, Android, BlackBerry Java & Simulators
Please use plain text.