Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Runtime Development

New Contributor
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: None
Accepted Solution

Is it possible to use the BB native sdk within an android runtime app?

Is it possible to use the BlackBerry (not Android) native C/C++ functions within an Android app?

Is there some way to communicate between a BlackBerry native sdk app and an Android app?

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry 10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Is it possible to use the BB native sdk within an android runtime app?

Unfortunately not. We have integrated parts of the Android Runtime into the core OS (File Pickers, invoking of Cards - compose, calendar event etc.) but that happens without any code modifcations. If you are looking for specific features only found within Cascades or Native, that would be the route to take for new development.

Cheers,

Matt

Matt Whiteman
Product Manager, Android, BlackBerry Java & Simulators
Developer
My Device: Curve 9300, BB10 Dev Alpha C, Z10

Re: Is it possible to use the BB native sdk within an android runtime app?

Hi mwhiteman,

How to invoke the File Picker from within the Android app? I want to show the user the File Picker which allows the user to pick a plain text file (e.g., memo.txt) on the device's file system. I have tried the following code on PlayBook but it says "No applications can perform this action".

Intent intent = new Intent(Intent.ACTION_GET_CONTENT);
intent.setType("text/plain");
intent.addCategory(Intent.CATEGORY_OPENABLE);
try {
	startActivityForResult(Intent.createChooser(intent, "Select a plain text file:"), REQUEST_CODE_TEXT_FILE_SELECT);
} catch (android.content.ActivityNotFoundException ex) {
	Toast.makeText(this, "ActivityNotFoundException ", Toast.LENGTH_SHORT).show();
}

Thanks,

PS. https://developer.blackberry.com/android/documentation/bb_runtime_release_notes.html says the File Picker is supported.

--tom