Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Runtime Development

Contributor
Gophermofur
My Device: Playbook
Accepted Solution

Licence Key Application Implementation

So I'd like to implement a paid application that acts as a licence key to unlock premium features on my currently free application.

On Android, this is pretty easy to accomplish:

1) Use PackageManager to find the paid version of the application.

2) Check that the paid version and free version have the same signature

3) Unlock premium features based on result from #2.

Is the process same for Android apps that have been ported over to the playbook? Will the PackageManager be able to "see" all the other applications that have been installed? Does the package manager port have access to the signature the converted BAR file?

Has anyone successfully implemented this? Any tips, advice?

Thanks,

Mo

Developer
Developer
mb1
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Licence Key Application Implementation

Hi Mo,

Appworld provides much more alternatives than Android market when it comes to licensing.

I would recommend using "Try and buy" model for your case.

--MB.

Contributor
Gophermofur

Well, part of the reason I wanted to keep the original app and just "unlock" extra features is because I don't want to force users to have to re-enter all the data on the paid version.

The application I've written (A Wedding Planner) requires a lot of data entry and having to re-do all that work would most likely upset users (It would certainly upset me).

The goal, at the moment, is to add extra features to the free version, but keep them locked. Purchasing the licence key application would unlock those features.

Thanks for the heads up, but I don't think the Try & Buy strategy would work well in my scenario.

Developer
Developer
mb1
My Device: Not Specified

One option for you would be to use the sdcard for sharing data between your free and paid app.

Playbook emulates the sdcard. As long as both the free and paid version store data on the sdcard and not in per-app storage, your users would not have to re-enter all the data if they decide to upgrade.

Contributor
Gophermofur

All the data is stored in a database which I believe is locked to the owning application. I had, at one time, considered finding ways to extract that data and temporarily store it in another medium (XML?) so the new application could consume it and insert the data into its own database.

However, that seemed like a lot of functionality to implement for something that could be solved with a licence key. So, I ended up going forward with the licence key solution in the Android market and I think for uniformity, I'd like to invoke the licence key solution for the playbook version.

Thanks for the ideas though, I'm sure they'll come in handy for one of my future apps!

Contributor
Gophermofur

I just wanted to let everyone know that it is possible and does work. I tested this weekend and you can see other packages and are able to retrieve their signatures. Using that, you can implement a "licence key" application that serves to unlock additional features in the free version of your application.

The only caveat is that, unlike Android, the Playbook ports require all applications (at least ported android apps?) to be launchable. Unfortunately, this means the user may accidently launch your licence key application which doesn't do anything except sit there.

Just thought I'd share. Thanks for the suggestions.