Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Runtime Development

Contributor
appsolutelymad
My Device: z10
Accepted Solution

Missing actionbar after adding blackberry nature to android project

Hello everyone, this is my first post and I'm hoping to find a resolution to a recent problem that I have encountered. I have an android project that supports api level 9 to api level 19. The app uses the v7 appcompat support library which I need for backwards compatibility. I use actionbarsupport and everything works as expected on both android and fire os, but when I add blackberry nature to the project and run the app on my playbook(os version 2.1.0.1088) I get strange unexpected behavior. The orientation will automatically rote from portrait to landscape and then the actionbar will disappear leaving my app in a state were it is no longer navigable. Can somebody help.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Retired
jjasmann
My Device: BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha B

Re: Missing actionbar after adding blackberry nature to android project

Hi appsolutelymad,

Thanks for stopping by the forums! 

I'm not sure if I can give you an exact answer, but here is some information that may prove useful.

Playbook is running a (very) old version of the Android Runtime (Gingerbread). That version does not have access to native code as you would on OS 10.2.1, nor does it have the wealth of improvements in the newer OS. On top of this, it can only successfully run code from SDK 10 and below. 

Your specific issue could stem from either an incompatibility with the information above, or an unresolved bug in the Playbook OS. 

My suggestion would be to try out the new 10.2.1 OS and see if the problem persists. If it does, you can file a bug report here and our devs can have a look.

Thanks! :smileyhappy:

Justin Jasmann | Android Application Development Consultant
Developer Relations
developer.blackberry.com
Please use plain text.
Contributor
appsolutelymad
My Device: z10

Thank you for your response, I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my query. I have now resolved this issue and unsurprisingly it wasn't a blackberry issue but an android one. The problem was with revision 18 of the appcompatv7 library. Once I updated to revision 19 the issue that I was having was corrected. This issue was an issue that effected all gingerbread versions of my app and not just the blackberry version. I hadn't noticed because I haven't tested the app on a gingerbread device in a few weeks and I hadn't received any feedback from users.

I don't plan to update the os on my playbook because I would like to support older devices too and in this case if I had an updated os I might not have found this issue.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Retired
jjasmann
My Device: BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha B

Awesome! I'm glad you found the solution.

Let me know if you need any more help :smileyhappy:

Justin Jasmann | Android Application Development Consultant
Developer Relations
developer.blackberry.com
Please use plain text.