Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Runtime Development

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: N/A

NullPointerException when viewing raw resources in non-BB project

The BlackBerry tools for Eclipse are causing problems in projects that don't even have the BlackBerry Nature installed in them.

I'm not sure if this problem started before I installed ADT R17, but there's some sort of conflict now.  When I click on the filename of a raw resource, I get an error with org.eclipse.ui.workbench.  More specifically:

java.lang.NullPointerException
    at net.rim.common.signer.validation.SigningPropertyTester.test(SigningPropertyTester.java:34)

Is there any workaround until RIM fixes this bug?

New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: None

Re: NullPointerException when viewing raw resources in non-BB project

I am no expert by any measure, but I have a thought for you.  Do you have a(n) blackberry project that won't compile right now due to errors?  If so, do you have Build Automatically checked in Eclipse.  There may be a conflict there.

Also, are you talking about .raw files, i.e. "raw" camera images?  If not, what file extensions are giving you the problem?  I just fully updated my Eclipse plugins this morning inclding Android and Blackberry, and cannot replicate your issue.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: N/A

Re: NullPointerException when viewing raw resources in non-BB project

Thanks for the help.  It was the extension (plus a BB bug).

The files are text files (with no extension), but are included in the raw folder within resources because of the way I am loading them in my app.

I tested with a proper extension, and there's no problem.  I suspect that when there's no file extension it goes all the way through all of the file handler hooks/callbacks and the BB one just can't handle it.

So I guess in this case I can either rename my files, or just disable the BB plugin if it really bothers me.  I will probably just live with it for now.

If I navigate away from the file after opening it, I can close the error and continue working (it does open the file).  I'm not sure how I got into the infinite loop before where it kept popping up the error, but that's gone now.

Also, no errors in my BB project (and no difference if it's open or closed), but that was worth checking.