Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Runtime Development

Contributor
jonathan2708
My Device: None - developer using simulator
Accepted Solution

Porting Android app - problem with Google Maps

I have an Android app that I want to make available to BlackBerry 10 users by porting for the BB Android Runtime. The only stumbling block is my Android app uses Google Maps API (com.google.android.maps) which the runtime doesn't support. The map screen is only a small feature of the app and I'm happy to disable it for BlackBerry users, but is this possible? I don't want to maintain two copies of the application, can I somehow code the one app so that the conversion to BAR works but the maps are still available on Android?  I've made sure the reference to the maps API in the Android manifest has the tag required="false", and check in my code if maps are available on the device but this doesn't seem to be enough.  The compatibility checker lists every line in every source code file where I reference a map object.

Any help appreciated,

Jonathan

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Fraggle222
My Device: Simulator !!!

Re: Porting Android app - problem with Google Maps

No, it's not going to work. Save yourself time trying to find a fix, and just copy your project to a new one and make the needed changes for blackberry. If you are using source control, then you can try branching off for that probject. 

By the way. If you want Google maps in your app, it can be done using a webview and Google's javascript API.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
_shivam
My Device: Torch 9800

android google maps api v2 is not supported by BB10. try to make it in webworks.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Fraggle222
My Device: Simulator !!!

_shivam wrote:

android google maps api v2 is not supported by BB10. try to make it in webworks.

Javasript API V3 is works reasonably well (why use v2?), except that for some reason every other load of the screen it seems to fail to fully load the zoom controls and won't pan/zoom. But it shows the satellite images. I think that is some weird javascript caching issue and have seen some threads online about it for non-blackberry devices.

Not sure what you meant with webworks. Wouldn't you still need Google Maps API with that? Or did you mean, use a Blackberry Maps solution inside a webworks environment?

Please use plain text.