Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Runtime Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Possible to launch a URL to the PlayBook browser from an Android-based app?

I've noticed that when you try to launch a URL from an Android-based app, the PlayBook's native browser isn't one of the options in the list of browsers.  Instead, a very bare-bones Android browser is available, and if you choose to open the URL in that, it provides a "View in PlayBook Browser" menu option that allows you to get the URL into the native browser.

By taking a look at the log events after using "View in PlayBook Browser", I determined that I might be able to achieve the same result from my app by setting the event's class to com.rim.browser.NativeBrowser.  However, when I did so, I ended up generating an exception due to needing a com.rim.browser.INVOKE_NATIVE permission.

I tried adding a com.rim.browser.INVOKE_NATIVE permission to AndroidManifest.xml, but unfortunately the permission exception continued to be generated.

So, I'm just wondering if I'm missing anything, or if it's truly impossible for Android-based apps to launch URLs directly into the native browser at this time.  If so, perhaps that could be implemented in the future.

My Device: PlayBook 2.0
My Carrier: N/A

Re: Possible to launch a URL to the PlayBook browser from an Android-based app?

Bump. The ability to open URIs in the native browser would be useful for opening, say, linking from a trial to full version app via appworld.blackberry.com
Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9790
My Carrier: PCCW

I would like to know that too. Anyone?

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: N/A

Without the ability to load a functional browser, users can't be shown the web page for all of my apps.  The search function isn't ideal on BlackBerry (using the market://search?q= protocol) in this case, but searching by BlackBerry vendor ID would be precise.

RIM - do you intend to support Android developers with a functional browser?