Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Runtime Development

New Developer
nobre
My Device: Not Specified

Proper documentation on the supported Intents on Android Runtime

[ Edited ]

Hello, I'm converting one app to the Android Runtime, however some of my Intent actions aren't working, no error/exception is shown on LogCat. I can se my onSaveInstanceState code being run as if the Activity was being paused, but nothing comes up.

When a IntentChooser is used, I can see in the logs: "invoking onCreate() for Activity com.android.internal.app.ChooserActivity" , however on the PlayBook, nothing happens. On the BB10 simulator, the chooser comes up (i.e with Messages and SMS options) but nothing happens when clicking them.

Are these supposed to be working ? What's may be wrong ?

Thanks.. 

working:

new Intent(Intent.ACTION_PICK, ContactsContract.Contacts.CONTENT_URI) - working (contact picker)

new Intent(MediaStore.ACTION_IMAGE_CAPTURE) - working (camera pick image)

not working:

new Intent(android.content.Intent.ACTION_SEND) - not working (send e-mail)

new Intent(Intent.ACTION_GET_CONTENT) - not working (pick media from device)

new Intent(Intent.ACTION_VIEW) - not working (file/document preview)

new Intent(Intent.ACTION_CALL) - not working (calling phone number - have proper permissions)

calling them with either below yields same results.

context.startActivity(intent)

context.startActivity(Intent.createChooser(intent))

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
mwhiteman
My Device: BlackBerry 10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Proper documentation on the supported Intents on Android Runtime

Hello,

The intent support you are looking at is only supported on BlackBerry 10. Currently what you are seeing with Messages and SMS is expected as BlackBerry Hub is required to complete the action. Same goes for calling phone numbers as there is no Phone applicaiton on the BlackBerry Dev Alphas.

For the full release notes (including supported intents) please see: http://developer.blackberry.com/android/documentation/bb_runtime_release_notes.html

Cheers,

Matt Whiteman
Product Manager, Android, BlackBerry Java & Simulators
Please use plain text.
New Developer
nobre
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Proper documentation on the supported Intents on Android Runtime

Thanks for the feedback.
Will be there an update path for Playbook to BB10? Will RIM release other tablet devices based on BB10 soon?
Without these API (and other limitations), tablet apps are not being very attractive to release.

It would be useful having a side-by-side table mentioning all compatible/incompatible API for each OS.
Please use plain text.