Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Runtime Development

Developer
swayamism
My Device: Non-BlackBerry User
My Carrier: AirTel

Starting Development in BlackBerry

I am a mobile application developer and have pretty decent experience in Windows Phone application development and Android. Now, I want to start developing for Blackberry also.

Going through the offcial BlackBerry website, I came to know it is possible to port my existing Android applications to Blackberry 10 and BlackBerry Playbook by using the various Runtime for Android apps tools.

My question : What is preferable? Should I develop applications for Blackberry using the standard Blackberry Java SDK or is it okay to make my applications on Android and then just repackage them for BlackBerry-10 and BlackBerry Playbook? I am aware of the fact that some of the Android applications might not be compatible with BlackBerry, such as pacakges that rely on Google Maps or Android's Text-to-Speech Engine, but right now I am not planning to use them in my apps for Blackberry.

Given my knowledge in programming, I guess I have three options :

1. Build using the C/C++ NDK
  2. Build Applications on Android and then later repackage them for BlackBerry
  3. Build using BlackBerry Java (Mobile Edition)

Which is the most preferable one and convenient one ?

I am very comfortable in Android but have no knowledge in J2ME. Hence, I thought that instead of learning to make my way around the UI in J2ME, I would just do it in Android and repackage it for Blackberry. Would that be the correct way of doing it ?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
yoYoMe
My Device: NA
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: Starting Development in BlackBerry

If you are already confortable in developing for Android, I guess it would be better for you that you develop in Android and then later just repackage them for BlackBerry. Just keep in mind that your ported Android applications are only compatible with BlackBerry 10 devices (still under development) and PlayBook. So, you are targeting a lot lesser audience.

Please use plain text.