Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Runtime Development

Developer
sblantipodi
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Try & Buy on BB10

I can do this, I would like to understand the new way to sell software on the app world over the sense of switching to this new way.

I would like to give users a seven days trial, this trial should expire after the seven days, if user would like to continue to use the software, he must pay once for a full license.

Previously with dynamic licensing all the transaction was handled by app world, my server only generated an activation code when the app world submitted the device id using an HTTP POST.

Should I manage all the transaction now?

I need to implement the selling button in my app,

I need to generate an HTTP POST over my server, store in the server that user is authenticated and check on app startup that user has the rights to access the full app.

An I right? Is this the new way of selling software on app world? Should I manage all the activation process?

Another question please.

Suppose that I want to switch my existing software from the old dynamic licensing to this new way of payment,

how should I set the " * " value in the vendor portal? Static, single, dynamic or pool?

Please use plain text.
Retired
gbeukeboom
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Dynamic licensing through digital goods is still supported, so what you could do is store the date and time that the user installs the app. 7 Days later you could then make the user purchase a digital good that uses dynamic licensing to unlock the rest of the functionality in the app.

The above scenario doesn't really require dynamic licensing, you could do it with a static digital good just as easily, unless you have a specific need for licensing.

If you want to switch other apps from paid with licensing to the model described above then I would recommend making them free and using the licensed digital good to unlock the app. It may, depending on how many users have already installed the paid version, be easier to just create a new SKU for BlackBerry 10 for the new license model.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
Developer
sblantipodi

I have hundred of positive reviews, I would like not to loose it, changing SKU will make me loose the reviews.

Static digial good does not inform my server about purchase and my server is not glad about this.

I have seen that in vendor portal I cannot switch my  *

Please use plain text.
Retired
gbeukeboom

Reviews from previous platforms will not be visible from App World soon:

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2012/11/blackberry-app-world-success/

Why does your server need to know about the purchase? That it the main question I have.

App licenses cannot be changed manually, and changing them will have, usually negative, affects on the current users of the app. This is why I am suggesting a new SKU for BlackBerry 10.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
Developer
sblantipodi

other bad news...

My server needs to know the email of the customer and the device id of the phone who purchased the software,

is this possible?

Please use plain text.
Retired
gbeukeboom

Could you provide some background on why this is needed? If I have more details I can possibly suggest alternates.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
Developer
sblantipodi

Another question.

Suppose that I create a new SKU for the same product but with the new payment method, does the users with BB 7 will see two products?

How can I suspens the old SKU with try and buy method and push the new app?

Thank, I really appreciate your patience.

Please use plain text.
Retired
gbeukeboom

sblantipodi wrote:

Another question.

Suppose that I create a new SKU for the same product but with the new payment method, does the users with BB 7 will see two products?

How can I suspens the old SKU with try and buy method and push the new app?

Thank, I really appreciate your patience.

It would likely be best to keep the original SKU for OS 7. Why would you change the app for OS 7 users?

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
Developer
sblantipodi

Because I need to push an update to the app but the system doesn't let me push the update on the try and buy sku,

it says me that try and buy is no more supported.

Please use plain text.
Retired
gbeukeboom

It should still work for OS7, this model was only removed for BlackBerry 10 and PlayBook.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.