Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Runtime Development

New Contributor
openfire191
My Device: Blackberry Z10

Unable to install signed bar file on Blackberry Z10 via OTA or through bar file on phone memory

Hi All,

I am unable to install signed .bar file on Blackberry Z10 (OS Ver. 10.0.10.82) via OTA or through bar file on phone memory. I get a "unable to open myappname.bar" error when I try to install the file. I created this bar file by converting Android app to Blackberry 10 app using Eclipse. I am able to install and run the same bar file properly on the device using Eclipse OR using BlackBerryGraphicalAid tool OR using chrome plugin (PlayBook App Manager).

Is this a limitation of Blackberry 10 that we cannot install a bar file using OTA? Is there a workaround available for this?

Any help regarding this would be highly appreciated as downloading app via OTA is core requirement of my app.

Thanks.

Developer
ndsmyter
My Device: Limited Edition Z10, Playbook 16GB/32GB, Dev Alpha A/B/C

Re: Unable to install signed bar file on Blackberry Z10 via OTA or through bar file on phone memory

As far as I know, there is no way to install an application from a bar file without the use of an extra computer. Only BlackBerry World is able to install applications over the air without the use of a computer.

And I don't think that BlackBerry has enabled this feature, to install BAR files from the phone itself. That way, all installs have to go through BlackBerry World, which they control. (except of course the side loaded apps)

A like is always appreciated,
but a nomination for BB Elite even more :-)
You can also contact me on Twitter: @ndsmyter
New Contributor
zdziczkowski
My Device: Z10

Re: Unable to install signed bar file on Blackberry Z10 via OTA or through bar file on phone memory

No offense to @ndsmyter, but can someone from BB confirm this fact?

Developer
ndsmyter
My Device: Limited Edition Z10, Playbook 16GB/32GB, Dev Alpha A/B/C

None taken :smileyhappy:

A like is always appreciated,
but a nomination for BB Elite even more :-)
You can also contact me on Twitter: @ndsmyter
New Contributor
openfire191
My Device: Blackberry Z10

Thanks for all the replies.

Can someone from Blackberry officially confirm this limitation/restriction?

Thanks.

Retired
jjasmann
My Device: BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha B

If you've got the device connected to your network via wifi, you can use the command line tools to do something like

blackberry-deploy -installApp -device 192.168.0.11 -password myDevicePassword MyApp.bar

Using the IP address of the phone on the network.

Justin

Justin Jasmann | Android Application Development Consultant
Developer Relations
developer.blackberry.com
New Contributor
zdziczkowski

Hi Justin,

I am able to do that as well...however...when I am attempting to deploy a test app for a customer to preview and verify that option is not viable. Assuming a tester without knowledge of how to do what you suggested wants to test a build, how does BB suggest handling that?

Retired
jjasmann
My Device: BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha B

You might want to take a look at setting up a Sandbox environment in App World.

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/47831/pde1350415869880.jsp

:smileyhappy:

Justin

Justin Jasmann | Android Application Development Consultant
Developer Relations
developer.blackberry.com
New Contributor
zdziczkowski

Justin,

Ok...I thought that is what you might say. That is fine. Just trying to make sure we are using a "BB-approved" method. :smileyhappy: