Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Runtime Development

New Contributor
pd_drawexpress
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Mobilicity
Accepted Solution

Updating android apk and private files problem

I am trying to convert my apk to bar on the playbook. However, everytime I did an update  push, (Eclipse Blackberry Tool) my previous version private files stored in the app got wipe out. I am not sure if this will behave the same with production upgrade because it is definitely a bad problem if it does. In my android development upgrading doesn't delete my private files unless I actually uninstalled the program first. Does anyone have this experience with their converting process?  Also, if this is just development is there way to keep my previous files as it is really annoying to recreate them again as well.

PD

Please use plain text.
Developer
ndsmyter
My Device: Limited Edition Z10, Playbook 16GB/32GB, Dev Alpha A/B/C
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

Re: Updating android apk and private files problem

Normally if you are installing from Eclipse, you have some settings as "Wipe User Data", that should be unchecked if you don't want that.

I thought you could do this in Eclipse via Package Explorer, right click on your app, choose "Run As" > "Run configurations..". Then go to the "Target" tab and at the bottom you should see this setting.
(PS: Could be that it is a little different because I just said without Eclipse open, don't have Eclipse installed on this pc I am using right now).

Anyway, it should definitely be possible to keep your data (at least it works when I am testing applications). You just have to find the right setting.

A like is always appreciated,
but a nomination for BB Elite even more :-)
You can also contact me on Twitter: @ndsmyter
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pd_drawexpress

I saw the option you mentioned for Android target but it's not available for Blackberry target.  I am going to check out the command line tool.

Thanks,

PD

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pd_drawexpress

I tested out the command tool line and it does keep the private files.  I am sure that you are correct about there are setting in Eclipse.  I haven't bother to search for it since I prefer the command line for it now.  Thank you.

Please use plain text.