Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Runtime Development

New Contributor
csuderman
My Device: BlackBerry 10

Upgrading Ported Android Apps

I've noticed that anytime I try compile a new version of my ported Android app from Eclipse to the BlackBerry Alpha 10 Dev simulator that I have (I don't have a physical device at this time), it seems to completely uninstall the prior version and re-installs the app. This causes the application to lose all of it's data!

Does this mean that if I were to release an upgrade of the app in BlackBerry World that the users will lose all of their data, or is this simply a weakness of working with Eclipse/BB10 Dev Alpha??

Colin

firezenk
My Device: BB Playbook

Re: Upgrading Ported Android Apps

This also happens with the Android simulator and is completely normal because development mode erases all, based on this example, users should not lose data, because only the package is replaced

Regular Contributor
Fraggle222
My Device: Simulator !!!

No, it doesn't happen on Android Simulator/emulator for non-blackberry development. If you run from Eclipse it will update not overwrite the currently installed version. So the question is valid and I have noticed the same.

However, I'm fairly sure that this is due to how the Eclipse/Simulator environment is setup. It sure is a pain in the **bleep** though.
Developer
Chambras
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook

I was afraid of that as well, but once you release a new version your users won't loose their data. This only happens when you are using eclipse and in development mode. It kind of sucks since you have to create your test data all the time or a scripit to do it everytime you deploy a new version.

Developer
ndsmyter
My Device: Limited Edition Z10, Playbook 16GB/32GB, Dev Alpha A/B/C

Maybe you should look into the settings when building your application.

If you are in Eclipse, use the Package Explorer view to show your applications. Right click your application and go to "Run As" > "Run Configurations...". There you should select the configuration you are using now to run. Normally if you only have one this will be selected by default. If you then go to the "Target" tab you have several options that could delete your data.

For example check if "Wipe User Data" is unchecked. Just browse through the options and see if they can be the source of your problem.

A like is always appreciated,
but a nomination for BB Elite even more :-)
You can also contact me on Twitter: @ndsmyter