Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Runtime Development

Regular Contributor
Fraggle222
My Device: Simulator !!!

Version Code/number in Vendor Portal->Does it need to match Android Manifest or .lsv file

When I went to add a "release" to my "Product" in the Vendor portal, it asked my for a version number or code for that release.

This is for an Android app so I already have a version code and version name in my Android Manifest. Does the Vendor Portal version need to match this in any way? Can it? Will users see the Vendor portal version code anywhere? Is it used for upgrade purposes and if so what does the portal entry need to match up to if anything?

I also noticed there is some kind of version code in the .lsv file that was generated by Eclipse. So not sure if that is related or not.

Please help.

Developer
ndsmyter
My Device: Limited Edition Z10, Playbook 16GB/32GB, Dev Alpha A/B/C

Re: Version Code/number in Vendor Portal->Does it need to match Android Manifest or .lsv file

I always use the versionName from the Android manifest. As this is what the users will see. Because I have the same app in the Play Store (or about the same app), where it is also the versionName that is used to show to the users.

As far as I know this string isn't used for versioning, I think the submission date in Vendor Portal is used for that.

I don't think it has to match to somethinig, but I just use the versionName to be consistent. And it makes it easier because I always use this 'convention' for myself.

A like is always appreciated,
but a nomination for BB Elite even more :-)
You can also contact me on Twitter: @ndsmyter
Regular Contributor
Fraggle222

Re: Version Code/number in Vendor Portal->Does it need to match Android Manifest or .lsv file

Ok, thanks. Have you had any issues with Updates? In other words how does blackberry know if user needs an update for an app? Do they do it by date, or do they use this version code value somehow?

Do they user versionCode from Android Manifest?
Developer
ndsmyter

I haven't had any issues with updates. But I don't know if they use thd versionCode from the manifest.
Because a lot of different platforms are supported in the Blackberry World (Android, Air..) I don't think the versionCode is used, they will probably prefer a generic way.

As said in my previous post, I think the submission date is used. So changing the version code will probably have no effect on earlier versions.

Trusted Contributor
imre_m
My Device: PlayBook, Z10, Q10

I happened to use different version numbers in the AndroidManifest and BB World, it didn't seem to create any problem, it is just a string what the user will see.However the versionCode I think should be increased properly, it happened that I couldn't upload a new release when I forget to increment it.

--
If you find this post useful please Like it.
If it solves your problem please mark as solution.
Developer
ndsmyter

There is a problem when you try to 'Sign for Blackberry World' if the versionCode isn't incremented. But it think this only applies if it isn't unique. (so if you try to sign with the same versionCode again).

Regular Contributor
Fraggle222

I just tried this and got :"Version elements contain invalid numbers". Probably because my Version Name is 2.0.1bb and they are expecting #.#.# format. So I'll have to leave off the bb.

Where is the documentation for this?