Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Runtime Development

New Contributor
messa
My Device: na
My Carrier: na

Where to begin with what a PITA doing anything for BlackBerry has been so far..

So. I develope for Android and wanted to bring the apps to BlackBerry.

I heard about the tool and started at it. What a pain.

I try to check out the App World online and found it's as useless as I remember when I owned a BB 2-3 years ago.

Difficult to search and use. Broken links even..

I went to register an account for App World and again a pain compared to other markets. You want Photo ID for one.

I download the Eclipse plugin and install it.

Setting up the signing keys and waiting for emails takes many times the effort of others.

I get eclipse all setup finally and sign/create the bar file which appears to work but also appears to have some sort of error (with no error message, when there is one it's comepletely unclear and google turns up nearly nothing).

I try to install the simulator (Which requires VMware. Again a huge contrast.) It doesn't run. After some searching find I have to boot into safe mode.

I try to run the project on the simulator and it gives an error that is nondescript and turns up no help on google except that RIM may need to update their simulators (they also need to update their Eclipse plugin to work with latest ADT from what I can see.)

I can't find one thing that is being done right.
How can you screw up everything accross the board this bad and expect to continue to survive in the face of good competitors.

You need to do so much better.

I would like this to work but I'm reaching the end of patience and don't have all this time to keep running into walls of RIM incompetence.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.2.1.3247; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

Re: Where to begin with what a PITA doing anything for BlackBerry has been so far..

I am not a developer so I cannot speak to some of what you have posted. However, I do have a couple of comments:

1. Regarding a photo ID for Appworld...I like that the developers are known and real and not infecting our devices with Malware like many Android apps (not that I suspect you of producing malware, it's just a general comment.)

2. As one who is not a developer I was able to sign up and install all the tools necessary to convert .apk files to .bar files and sign them for use on my PlayBook. I realize that's not the same as writing directly for PlayBook but the process was easy, nonetheless.

It sounds like you have some questions in your post that I'm sure some here can answer but to say that you "can't find one thing that is being done right" sounds like an exaggeration based on frustration over a couple of issues. The response I have seen from many other developers about developing apps for the PlayBook has been overwhelmingly positive with the developers.

I think once you're set up you may even find that your apps run better on Playbook than the devices they were initially designed for. I know that's been the case for many developers who develop apps for iOS.

I'm not trying to marginalize your frustrations but only add some perspective.

John
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
messa
My Device: na
My Carrier: na

Re: Where to begin with what a PITA doing anything for BlackBerry has been so far..

Your use would have been before it broke with the new ADK.
You didn't end up using the emulators.
Neither are currently working and need to be updated. Can't do much without those two.

A well thought out post by you but everything I said stands.
The salt in the wound is getting no response here. RIM is no where to be found. No updates, fixes in sight.
For a company who needs developers so bad this is a joke.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.2.1.3247; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

I understand the frustration. However, keep in mind that this forum community is not staffed by RIM, nor is it an official support channel for devices or development. It is an excellent resource but not the official support channel.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Developer
Neurofluid
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

I feel your pain. I'm in the exact situation you are, plus having the heartache of non-working DMG files for the BB simulator: all of the install files for the simulators are reported as corrupted on my Macbook Pro. I've left a plea for help in the forums a week ago, and logged a bug in RIM's bug reporting too and for a week I've heard nothing but the crickets chirping.

I come from both an iOS and Android development background and the lack of working anything is frustrating the hell out of me. Even the forums' website login 'remember me' doesn't work in Chrome; I have to enter my login credentials everytime I close my browser.

RIM has to do much better than this because they can't afford to be 3rd best and as the other two app stores have shown, content is king. Piss off the devs and you've got no content.

I respect that this is a non-official forum and isn't supported by RIM, but that has to change. I've worked for some very successful companies that value their communities and put full-time staff and community managers to work to support their end users and devs.

Keeping my fingers crossed that things will get better, and quickly, as I don't want to write the Blackberry devices off just yet.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

I hear your frustrations. There are a lot of areas where RIM could improve on customer service and developer service. They are talking a big game about making the platform developer-friendly and assisting in getting apps ready and I hope that drive filters down with assistance to you folks who are actually doing the work.
Please use plain text.