If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Runtime Development

Contributor
Jaldhar
My Device: Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

Why did my Package-ID change?

I'm not sure if this question should be asked here or in the blackberry world forum.  Please move it if necessary.

So yesterday I suddenly realized it was the last day for the Jam Zone rewards incentive.  I had a minor (yet strangely popular) app called Capture The Flag which had a newer version so I quicly packaged it up -- a piece of cake with the Eclipse plugin -- and tried to upload it to Blackberry World.  However every time I tried, the upload was rejected because it said the package ID had changed.  I know from past experience that you can get this message if the package name changes or if the .bar file has a different name but in this case the package is still com.braincells.capturetheflag and the bar I tried to upload is called capturetheflag.bar just like the previous version.

There are only two things I can think of that changed.  1. Because I am now using the c++ Cocos2D-X framework instead of java, the main activity's name has changed. 2. Hence because of native code, I set the minimum OS required to 10.2.1 whereas before it worked with all versions.  Neither of these things should change the Package-Id should they?  As a final act of desperation I unpacked the .bar manually edited MANIFEST.MF to use the old Package-Id, repacked and resigned but then I got a different error when uploading which unfortunately  I can't recall right now.

So please help me understand what went wrong and how to fix it.   Also as I swear I was ready to upload on the 28th, can I please still get the points? :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
jjasmann
My Device: BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha B
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Why did my Package-ID change?

Hi Jaldhar,

Another piece of the Package ID puzzle revolves around your signing keys / developer certificate.

If your signing keys differ from the signing keys that were used to sign the app originally, then you will have a conflict during package id verification and will be unable to submit the updated version.

If this is not the case and you are positive that you have kept your keys the same, you may have re-created your developer certificate with a different author before signing the updated application.

In regards to the jamzone points, it is unlikely that much can be done there. It is an automated process that uses your submission date/time to determine eligibility. With that said, you can try sending an email over to the developer program and see if they have any additional flexibility.

Mail: blackberrydeveloperprogram@blackberry.com

Hope this helps.

Justin Jasmann | Android Application Development Consultant
Developer Relations
developer.blackberry.com
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Jaldhar

Thanks for the reply.  I don't think my signing key has ever changed.  Comparing MANIFEST.MF to an old version again I see that Package-Author and Package-Author-Certificate-Hash are the same.  Package-Author-ID is different.  Is this significant?  A few months ago you added the ability to use a Blackberry ID token instead of a signing key.  Is that perhaps being used instead?  But I recall the packaging wizard asked me for my keystore and key passwords so I don't think that could be it.

Although this case isn't too important I'm a little worried now that I will not be able to update any of my apps anymore.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
jjasmann
My Device: BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha B
My Carrier: Bell

You are absolutely correct, there may be a step that was missed in here.

We were using two CSJ keys (RDK & PBDT), but now we've shifted to BlackBerry ID Token. If you had keys previously (I'm guessing you did) and then you obtained a BBID Token, you would have needed to go through a linking step.

Most of the information you'll need to link one against the other is in this blog post by Mark Sohm.

Link: http://devblog.blackberry.com/2013/08/code-signing-keys-be-gone-welcome-blackberry-id/.

Relevant piece:

blackberry-signer -linkcsk –bbidtoken <BBID Token CSK filename>
-oldcskpass <Legacy CSK password> –bbidcskpass <BBID Token CSK password>

Let me know if this helps.

Justin Jasmann | Android Application Development Consultant
Developer Relations
developer.blackberry.com
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Jaldhar

I tried it but I get the message

Error: -cskpass must be specified

Adding the -cskpass option doesn't help.  I'm 100% I've got the passwords correct.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Jaldhar

I got it now.  You need the store password too.  Like so:

./blackberry-signer -linkcsk -bbidtoken <path to bbidtoken> -storepass <store password>  -oldcskpass <old csk password> -bbidcskpass <bbidtoken password>

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Jaldhar

..and just a report that the file has now been successfully submitted.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
imre_m
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Hi Jaldhar,

So to sum up: the problem was that you've used the latest signing method with BB ID, however you didn't link your old keys properly to the BB ID?

Actually I've also missed the Jam Zone promotion's deadline because of a package-id mismatch, though my app was ready well before the 28th. However I still couldn't figure out why my package-id went different, I was still using the old keys to sign.

--
If you find this post useful please Like it.
If it solves your problem please mark as solution.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Jaldhar

Yes that's it.  The beta eclipse packaging wizard asks you for the store and certificate passwords so I assumed that the old signing method was in use and didn't remember at first that I had set up the bbid option or that I hadn't linked it.

Please use plain text.