Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Android™ Runtime Development

New Contributor
RJVB
My Device: Playbook 64Gb
My Carrier: none

resigning bar files

I have an issue with the signing requirement to bump the app version. Most of the time, the .bar files I sign come from Android apks ... of free Android apps I obtain via an Android tablet. In other words, I cannot change their version.

I'm trying to reconvert an apk I had already tried once, and deleted by mistake. Sure enough barsigner won't let me sign it telling me the file has been signed previously ...

Is there really no way around this? I've looked around on my workstation to find a database of signed files, but apparently this information is stored somewhere online ... so that also means that if I convert an apk for my OWN use, this blocks everyone else from doing the same?!

Is there a way to 'hack' an apk to change its name and/or version, without having access to the original code?

Please use plain text.
Developer
ndsmyter
My Device: Limited Edition Z10, Playbook 16GB/32GB, Dev Alpha A/B/C
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

Re: resigning bar files

If I understand correctly, the apps you are trying to convert are not your own? If this is the case, try to contact the original developer of these apps, (s)he should convert them for you.

And in my opinion you shouldn't be porting apps that are not your own. Even if they are for your own use.

A like is always appreciated,
but a nomination for BB Elite even more :-)
You can also contact me on Twitter: @ndsmyter
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
RJVB

converting, not porting. It's just a matter of repackaging - if BB had set things up so that regular apk files worked it wouldn't even be necessary. As a matter of fact, the apk I'm trying to convert is a game from a big company - a so-called fremium model where the software itself is free but one pays for certain features. I cannot help but think that I'd be doing them a favour if it turns out the game runs better on the PB than on my buggy Android tablet.

[rant]I cannot begin to see what's more wrong with converting a free application than with side-loading it on a regular Android device. Apart from the fact that if I sign the .bar no one else can sign the same version ... but frankly, that's not a decision I made.

There used to be a time when one had full powers to decide what to run on one's computing hardware, be it precompiled or programmed one-self. I still think that should be possible, no matter how conforting it is to know it's not overly easy to mess things up completely.

[/rant]

Please use plain text.
Contributor
abhishesh
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: N/a

No need of changing the version number. Try signing with another signing key(request another key with different author name). This will help you.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
RJVB

**bleep**, so simple and evident I could have thought of trying it myself, thanks!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
abhishesh
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: N/a

If it helped you, you can like my post :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
RJVB