If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Announcements

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Knotty's WES 2009 experience

So I was invited to WES 2009.  OMG! What a trip this is gong to be. I have heard the stories about others with their WES adventures and wished I was able to go. Now I can tell my own story. I hope it is as fun as they made it out to be.

Monday 4AM

Woke up did the morning routine with one eye open and waited for my father to show up to bring me to the airport. The car ride was a bit quiet but I was excited none the less. We arrived at the airport around 5AM and the journey through the airport started. Lost of people waiting to get their flights for vacations, business and WES were starting.

The plane took off on time, good sign, and I slept most of the way there. Then the captain awoke me with news we would arrive on time. Found the luggage area and saw a gentleman with a WES shuttle sign and said “I’ll be back”.

The shuttle service was nice and arrived at the hotel and had a little issue checking in. After a few emails it was all good to go. Unpacked a bit and headed to WES on the shuttle service. A few minutes later I entered the WES doors and was like WOW what a huge place.

Started my way to check in and got my swag bag that contained notepad, pen, and a book that I started to read while emailing a few people that wert going to WES. Knot much to do since all the break out sessions were full. Finally after delays met up with BBHorrigan and he introduced me to a few people from other forums that I know. Things started to get more interesting.

Went to the lounge where every one was getting a cold drink and met a few more people. Was neat to see almost everyone with a BlackBerry smart phone and their faces buried in them. No one complained about keeping them on the table or texting people in the middle of conversations. There was a nice aura brewing from everyone that was attending.

Next up was going to the Boxtone lounge and met up with more forum members and some online legends. I would mention them, but don’t want their heads getting any bigger. Had a few drinks, food, and some good conversations. Started to get my first taste of swag too.

Pre open of WES started about 6PM and everyone was in a hustle to get to the booths and to grab some food too. The open bar was a welcome surprise too. 100+ booths to check out and found a lot of nice solutions. I might even try to get one implemented. The booth that RIM had was huge and had several pods and some kewl hassocks to sit on too.

After 2 hours of wandering around and talking to all the people at the booths, BBHorringan and I went back to the lounge and met up with some more people. I even gave some advice to a few about BES 4.1. after a a few more hours it was time to go back to the hotel and see if the pool was open, lucky for me the gate was easy to open.

Tuesday morning was going to be fun, I get to meet the rest of the members of the support group. What a surprise welcome it was. Everyone was having fun, laughing and using their BlackBerry smart phone at the table. Introductions were nice since I could place a name with the face. After a few minutes we were all handed a nice backpack and some other goodies. Some were surprised to see me with a BB smart phone, I borrowed the new sales man’s device just for WES. Hope he does knot mind the few scratches I put on it, LOL.

After a nice buffet we finished up and head out to WES. I started my day with The New Blackberry Enterprise Server 5.0 and learned a lot about what its going to be good for. Met up with the others after for some lunch and chatted about what we have seen so far. Next class was about high availability and followed by New flexibility and Power Unveiled.

Now its time to head out to the BlackBerry Support Community birthday bash party and some fun. Met up with our group and a few others from other forums as well. When it was time for door prizes to be drawn, I was a lucky one! Woo Hoo more swag to carry. After it was over I had to make a run to the hotel to drop off all my stuff in order to enjoy the WES party. The WES party was HUGE. I did knot know that it was such a big place. The concert part was nice even if I did knot know most of the songs. We sang what we could, I danced with Krypto. Tried to get others to dance, but they would knot. Tanzim wanted to get closer to the stage so we pushed our way to the front. After many drinks and louts of shouting over the music the party ended, or did it. Off to the next party up in the penthouse room of the hotel. What a blast it was there too. Nice view and a few more drinks. Even met up with 2 more people from other forums. This was getting to be too much fun, KNOT! Well after a few hours it was time to end all the fun. I ended up swimming again at around 1:30 am. Wednesday Woke up early and headed back to WES for more break out sessions. Was nice to have people say hi that I have met in the past 2 days. Took a few more courses on BES 5.0 and even met up with jmrmb80 on two of them. Lunchtime with jmrmb80 was going to be short so I skipped a session that I did not care for. Went to another session and had to skip the last session since we were all going out to dinner tonight. Dinner was awesome, 4 appetizer platters were served to us. What a selection of seafood. YUMMY! I ordered a lobster tail add on to krypto’s meal for a few bucks. It’s all I wanted to eat after everything else I sampled. Finished it off with a spoon full of a shared desert of key lime pie with everyone. Off to the AT&T party at House of Blues with Kenny Loggins playing tonight. Had a few beers and after a while we made our way to Planet Hollywood and we celebrated Bumblepie’s birthday at midnight. Also had some nice chats about the forum. When it was closing time we all tried to find a bus back. Thanks to Krypto we all made it back. Time for my last swim at 3:30 am at the hotel. This time jmrmb80 was able to join me and Krypto took some pics to prove we were there. What a nice end to a good night. Thursday Time to pack it up and head back to WES and start the good byes and even have an interview, too bad I had the giggles. Saying (dirty toilets) a few time did knot help any either. I was able to get most of the pics transferred to my laptop and to a few others. Also will host it on FTP for the others in the group to enjoy too. Was a quick day and was time to go back to the hotel and catch my BUS. A few others were also going a little sooner. I was tough to say goodbye, we all met and got along real well for the past few days. At least we can still email or PM. 

Off to the airport and my flight was delayed, didn’t bother me much, was nice to catch my breath and take it easy for a while. My flight was actually fast. They sped up the plane and we landed only a few minutes late even after a 1 hour delay. I was glad to be home but WES is still stuck in my heart. Good times. What a trip! It was nothing like what others have told me.

It took me the rest of the week to catch on sleep, but it was totally worth it!

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

Re: Knotty's WES 2009 experience

knottyrope wrote:
I danced with Krypto.
I am soooooOOOoo jealous !

apart from that, than you for sharing with those missing like me. Maybe I'll also give my version of those days, from a Paris perspective reading tweeter feeds :smileyhappy:

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
bbhorrigan
My Device: 8900

Good stuff Knotty

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
Please use plain text.
Community Manager (Retired)
MichelleK
My Device: Blackberry Bold
My Carrier: Rogers

Love it!

<

-mk

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
Visitor
teachncljul09
My Device: Not Specified

Whose music personally brings me back to the jams of the swingin' Summer of Love, albeit in a melancholy, jazz-tinged, utterly earnest way. No Elephant 6 revivalists of retropsychy sounds, Big Tree play a brand of grooving, poetic, sometimes knotty folk rock music. I've had the pleasure of catching them play live twice, and they're one of the finest young bands I've seen in ages. Their songs will get stuck in your head only shortly after your heart leaves your mouth from the impact of the perfect vocal harmonies. I particularly recommend "We Can Hear the Grass Grow" from their myspace.

NYSTCE test

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

teachncljul09 wrote:

Whose music personally brings me back to the jams of the swingin' Summer of Love, albeit in a melancholy, jazz-tinged, utterly earnest way. No Elephant 6 revivalists of retropsychy sounds, Big Tree play a brand of grooving, poetic, sometimes knotty folk rock music. I've had the pleasure of catching them play live twice, and they're one of the finest young bands I've seen in ages. Their songs will get stuck in your head only shortly after your heart leaves your mouth from the impact of the perfect vocal harmonies. I particularly recommend "We Can Hear the Grass Grow" from their myspace.

NYSTCE test

Interesting, thanks for the info. I will have to check out the youtube videos tonight.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.