Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Announcements

Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Krypto's WES 2009 Experience

After getting this together for MichelleK, I thought I'd pass this on to the rest of you as well.  It is long, so I'll post it in parts starting with Part 1 - Monday's trip to WES today.  Part 2 will cover the Tuesday experiences (and is the longest part), Part 3 will be Wednesday, and Part 4 will be a wrap of Thursday and the impressions.  Hope you enjoy!

With that, here's Part 1!

The trek to WES started bright and early Monday morning.  After waking far too early and finally getting up at 4:30am, I got up and got ready and was airport bound by just before 6:00am.  After arriving at the airport, I went to clear customs, and of course, I got selected for more advanced passport screening.  Good news though, apparently I’m not some crazy person on any watchlist, so off I went.  The flight to Denver was completely uneventful, but on the way from Denver to Orlando, I started chatting with my seat mate, and wouldn’t you know it, he was a Telus dealer also on his way to WES.  And it turns out the lady to my right was also on her way there.  Made for great conversation, and I got to start the learning process right there.  Sometimes being stuck in the middle seat isn’t that bad :smileyhappy:.

Upon my arrival in Orlando, I went and waited for my Mears shuttle.  I then ended up striking up a conversation with yet another WES attendee – Bill from Western Union.  After a pretty good conversation and learning a bit about BES and the intricacies of having users on multiple carriers, it was time to make it to the hotel.  Time for dinner, watch a little Medium and then off for sleep.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Elite I
Krypto

Krypto's WES 2009 Experience - Part 2

[ Edited ]

Here's Part 2 - Tuesday!

Tuesday morning rolled around and it was time to meet the community members.  Were they going to be nice?  Would I be able to find anyone?  Would we get along?  Turns out my concerns were entirely unfounded.  After finding MichelleK in the lobby, I joined the others for breakfast.  Needless to say, I think we all managed to hit it off pretty well right off the bat.  Luckily we were all pretty normal people (although knottyrope proved to be one amazing joker right off the bat - the knottyisms were amazing!)!  Breakfast started off with introductions, and then something a bit unexpected – goodies!  My XL men’s shirt is going to my boyfriend, although he’s only allowed to wear it in my presence – just in case he gets any questions :smileyhappy:.  We followed this with some great conversation, laughs and more knottyisms!  :smileytongue:

Following breakfast, we made our way to WES.  The first talk was Introduction to BES 5.0.  While some of it was clearly over my head (I’ve never worked with BES or SQL databases before), I think I was still able to get a lot of the key points, which I was then able to pass on to the BES admin at my University.  Turns out that I picked up enough to pretty much convince them to upgrade to BES 5.0.  And I was able to understand a bit about what the others were discussing during WES.  While I won’t be joining into the BES discussions anytime soon, I at least have a better understanding.  Later I checked out a talk on using Cisco with BlackBerry smartphone devices.  While I had used a Cisco GIST app on my Storm, I wasn’t sure who Cisco was - were these the same guys who bought out Linksys?  They were indeed and actually I knew a lot more about them than I thought.  I can’t wait for the day when I can integrate the WebEx player with my Storm and thus check out recorded presentations from conferences I attended on my Storm while travelling, etc.  Finally, I followed up that talk with a talk regarding the future of mobility – What’s Hot and what’s not.  This talk provided an impressive insight into the future of mobile apps and smartphone growth.  As a consumer, this talk was the easiest for me to follow, and possibly the most interesting.  And while I had heard of SDXC before, this was the first time I had really been introduced to the new format and its abilities (how about storing 64GB to 2TB of movies and songs on future mobile devices - can I say "Yes please") :smileyvery-happy: 

The day was far from over though.  After a short break and time to get things ready, we made our way to the BSCF party. There was great company, good food and really good times.  :smileyhappy:  We had a chance to meet with various other groups, including fellow board member bbhorrigan, as well as Kevin and Bla1ze from Crackberry, some of the guys from Nationwide (including dfisher from our boards), and several others.  Bill from Western Union was also able to make it. :smileyhappy:  Great party!  After this, we made our way to the WES party with Will.i.am.  We all had a huge blast.  I think it’s also safe to say that the pictures from that night go to show just how much fun we had.  It was actually fun enough that I didn’t mind missing the Canucks game!  (Found a guy there wearing a Canucks jersey too, so that was a bit of a personal highlight!).  The night ended fairly late (especially after making our way to the BoxTone lounge/after party), but it was worth it!

(Side note, since the Canucks are now out of the Stanley Cup playoffs, I have mixed feelings, but there's no where I'd rather have been).

Stay tuned for Wednesday's comments!

Message Edited by Krypto on 05-12-2009 02:43 AM

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Elite I
Krypto

Krypto's WES 2009 Experience - Part 3

[ Edited ]

Here's Part 3, Wednesday:

I think the vast majority of us decided to sleep in the next day.  This unfortunately meant that we missed the second keynote speech as well (we missed the first as it happened while we were having breakfast on Tuesday), which was unfortunate, but sometimes a little sleep is just too valuable :smileyhappy:.  I had a couple of talks scheduled this day, but after looking further into the talks, I realized that I really wanted to check out all the booths, so I skipped the talks and went directly to the booths.  Definitely the best choice.  I had questions about specific apps, and got the answers at the BlackBerry App World booths.  As a couple of examples, I used to have Cribbage on my old Motorola Razr and have been waiting and waiting for it to come available for my Storm.  I found the Magmic guys and was able to get the answer directly from them.  Good news is that it’ll soon be available, making me a very happy Storm owner!  I also got more details about the WHERE app (which for some reason, I can't find on App World at the moment???), Nobex Radio Companion and a couple of others, allowing me to find out that these apps actually do work for Canadians, and not only that, in some cases, you can request specific content.  

I also spoke with the Unify4Life guys, and got more information on their device.  After getting a demo, I’m incredibly impressed.  This is one of those accessories that really takes the BlackBerry smartphone to a whole new level.  I used to use my old HP iPaq as a remote to control various devices, and it worked great as a universal remote when we were somewhere and didn't have access to the remote (happened a couple of times), so I missed that functionality with my BlackBerry.  With this 3rd party accessory though, you can turn your BlackBerry into a remote, and even better, you can actually scroll through your TV listings on your BlackBerry - much faster than using the guide on your TV.  I was even more impressed because it supposedly works with my TelusTV.  I just might get one of these units, and if I do, I'll keep you all posted.

And there was also a cool new accessory from BlackBerry that piqued my interest - a decently affordable in car bluetooth solution.  Apparently it was also featured at CES... does this mean it'll be available soon?  Talking to the guy at the booth, looks like :smileyhappy:

I also checked out some of the other booths, and managed to bring back a variety of info on BES reporting, again for my university.

We then followed this up with the BSCF member dinner.  Again, great food, great company, and great info (and the pictures to prove it).  And another secret revealed (but as secrets go, this one gets to stay hidden :smileytongue:).  Follow this up with another party and then birthday wishes for Bumblepie.  Followed that with a photo event with 2 of our esteemed board members sneaking into the pool area for a late night dip at 3:30am (I was the photographer) and another great day passed.   

Stay tuned for the final day tomorrow!

Message Edited by Krypto on 05-13-2009 01:05 AM

Elite I
Krypto

Krypto's WES 2009 Experience - Final Part 4

Here's the last installment of this post (Thursday).  For those who attended WES, feel free to add your comments, or for those who would like more information on anything I posted, feel free to ask. :smileyhappy:

After getting up bright and early and getting all packed, I made my way to back to the conference along with a couple of others (jmrmb80 and knottyrope - Tanzim followed shortly thereafter).  We met back up with MichelleK and Greggor (you can see him in some of our pics :smileyhappy:) and hung out for a little bit.  I checked out a few other neat things and grabbed one final bit of information from the BoxTone booth, then passed on my 500MB worth of photos!  There's actually a shot of me somewhere with my Storm, my netbook and a bunch of cables, etc on a little pod. :smileyhappy:  JSanders and Andy joined us at that point and we then all sat down with MichelleK for one last conversation together.  After that, it was time for the goodbyes.

11:00 rolled around and it was time for me to leave.  Headed back to the hotel, got my stuff and I was on the way back to the airport.  And with that, my WES experience was over.  I had a huge blast, and it was an experience I'll never forget.  Everyone was amazing and I'm going to miss them. 

It's nice to be home, but I do miss it.  I've made new friends as a result of this experience and I hope we do get to meet again in the future!

poggins
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Krypto's WES 2009 Experience - Part 3

Hi, Krypto --

I'm a new Storm user and have a fierce cribbage jones. If you have time, could you please let me know how your like your cribbage software? I think you said you're using Magmic's...

Thanks,

poggins

Elite I
Krypto

Hey poggins and welcome to the forums!

I did end up downloading it.  It took me a bit to get used to playing the game on my Storm, but it's pretty good.  For some reason, it's slower than it was on my old Motorola RAZR and I'm unable to turn off the animations to speed it up, but I've gotten used to it.  Anyhow, it's staying on my Storm and is my favorite game yet.

And yup, it's created by Magmic.  You can find it on the BPlay site or various other sites, and I'm pretty sure I saw it on BlackBerry AppWorld.

If you're a cribbage fan, I'd recommend it.  :smileyhappy:

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

It was so much fun.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V