Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

App World transition with descriptions and larger featured icons

Some people have questions about the new 50 character short description, and I'm also a bit puzzled about the requirement for the monster new image to be shown in the Featured section.  Maybe you could expand on the plans and timing for these things and how they'll be used.

(Sorry for the flurry of questions... I'm out for the rest of the day and am fortunate just to be here for a few minutes at the start when you opened it up.  Thanks, ttyl. :smileyhappy: )

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Retired
akinsella
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9790

Re: App World transition with descriptions and larger featured icons

No problem!

The short description is used in the new AW 3.0 client in a couple different places - one of those being when your app is featured.  

For the "monster" new Featured Banner.  The reason for that is for scaling across PlayBook, BlackBerry, and the web store.  Trust me, they look awesome.

Alex Kinsella @alexkinsella
Senior PR and Social Media Manager
Research In Motion
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Thanks Alex.  What I was personally curious about was the scaling.  It says to use a 1920 x 1186 image (16:10 ratio), where now we would be using a 480x480 image.  I can't quite picture how the scaling would work with that.  Square is easy on my mind... rectangular means... what? when scaled.  Will it be now be a 16:10 ratio in all platforms, or will it be scaled oddly on some so that we'll end up with an image that's either narrowed or shorter than the available space?

For example, if a 1920x1186 image were scaled to fit in the current PlayBook App World client, and assuming that's currently a 225 pixel square, we'd have a short squashed image that's only 225x139 pixels or so.

Left to my own devices, I'd end up using a square 1186x1186 image generated from my existing (square) vector sources, but perhaps that won't work well.  I just feel the need for a bit of guidance for people, the same as there now is for building icons with the right characteristics for PlayBook apps.  When there wasn't that detail at first, most people seemed lost.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Retired
akinsella
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9790

Hey Peter - 

My buddy Ray in Interaction Design I were just speaking about this.  For AW 3.0 (which you'll see soon), the feature banner has been replaced by Spotlight Features.  The intention is that you can create a branded feature image rather than just upscaling your logo.

Alex

Alex Kinsella @alexkinsella
Senior PR and Social Media Manager
Research In Motion