Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
Viper7129
My Device: Z10
Accepted Solution

Price change from free to paid

I noticed that when I changed my PlayBook app's price from Free to Paid, then updated the version, users who downloaded it for free couldn't get the update for free.  Will this be changed in the future so that we can have apps free for a limited time?

Please use plain text.
Retired
akinsella
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9790

Re: Price change from free to paid

Thanks for the feedback! In App World 3.0, we do have a trial period for subscriptions that allows you to price for free or reduced price for the initial period, then switch to full price after.   We'll take a look at doing this for non-subscription products too. 

Alex Kinsella @alexkinsella
Senior PR and Social Media Manager
Research In Motion
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Viper7129

Actually, I was just thinking, could this be a bug? Since I've set the upgrade price to free shouldn't people to downloaded it already, whether they paid or not, get the update for free?

Please use plain text.
Retired
akinsella
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9790

They should.  What's the product?

Alex Kinsella @alexkinsella
Senior PR and Social Media Manager
Research In Motion
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Viper7129

The product is Finance Assistant.  I made it free for a while. Then I made it $0.99 and updated it with some bug fixes, but set the new version's upgrade price to Free.  But customer's who downloaded it when it was free are complaining that they have to pay to get the upgrade.  I had a friend of mine try it and it's true.  He had to pay.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Raelic
My Device: Bold 9900, Playbook , HS-700 headset

As I pointed out in the other 'pricing thread' this is the case on the playbook. I'm unsure about handheld, but definitely on the playbook.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1). Please thank those who help you by clicking the Like Button beside the 'Reply' button.
2). If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking "Accept as Solution" on the correct post!
3). Remember to have fun! We are all in this together!
4). Follow me on Follow Raelic1337 on Twitter

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Viper7129

Ah yes. I'm just wondering if that was the intention though.
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Raelic
My Device: Bold 9900, Playbook , HS-700 headset

i dont believe it was intended, as it simply wouldnt make sense.
But I am sure Mr. Kinsella will get back to us shortly to clarify.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1). Please thank those who help you by clicking the Like Button beside the 'Reply' button.
2). If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking "Accept as Solution" on the correct post!
3). Remember to have fun! We are all in this together!
4). Follow me on Follow Raelic1337 on Twitter

Please use plain text.
Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810

Raelic wrote:
As I pointed out in the other 'pricing thread' this is the case on the playbook. I'm unsure about handheld, but definitely on the playbook.

I confirm that it is the same for smartphone apps. If the user has downloaded the app as free, he/she cannot download any upgrade when the app is switched to paid. Moreover the user is not allowed to purchase the app even if he/she wants to, since the app is already on the phone

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Please use plain text.