Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BBM for Android

Contributor
rich8606
My Device: Xperia Z LTE
Accepted Solution

BBM only works on wifi, what phones are you using?

[ Edited ]

Okay, reading the many threads in this forum, clearly this is a widespread issue. BBM running on some Android phones will stop working on mobile data after some time and will only work again when the phone is connected to wifi.

My problem is BBM works when I'm connected to my 3G network for some time, but as hours go by, it will stop working completely, no message delivered, no message received. If I connect my phone to wifi at this point, BBM will work again, all my pending ongoing messages will be delivered and I will receive pending incoming messages all at onceAfter this, if I turn wifi off and switch back to 3G, BBM will still work, but it will eventually stop working again, until I "reset" it by turning on wifi again.

Some people say the issue is caused by turning the "BBM connected icon" off from the setting, as it clearly states "Turning off the BBM Connected icon may cause messages to not get delivered, or get delayed if device memory is low". But this is not true, as I still experience the issue even when the BBM connected icon is on.

What I want to know is, is the issue restricted to a certain Android phone? Or all Android phones in general? So if you're experiencing this issue, please tell us what your Android phone is, what version is your Android OS? and what network are you running on (3G or 4G)?

I'm using a Sony Xperia Z LTE, running on Android 4.1.2 and a 3G network.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
emo21
My Device: Samsung i9100

Re: BBM only works on wifi, what phones are you using?

Im having the same problem. I got a Samsung galaxy S2 i9100 using jelly bean 4.1.2 and does the same. How do I fix this.?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
rich8606

Aha!! So it's not just Sony phones.

Did you turn off the 'BBM connected icon' in the setting? It seems that the turning it off will also turn off the BBM connection when your memory is low.

Turn it on, see if it helps. Personally, I turned it on, while the connection is better, it's still pretty slow, all my ongoing message are still pending when sent.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
emo21
My Device: Samsung i9100

I haven't turned off the icon. Iv done everything possible . It started happening after the update of bbm. So I don't know what elde to do. Even thought the un installing would help but didn't work. It wont let me connect without wifi.  Once connected I can use bbm after being away from wifi area I can't send anything as just a red clock appears.  

Please use plain text.
Contributor
rich8606

[ Edited ]

Well. same here. I have it on, and BBM stops working if I don't have wifi on. Do you enable stamina mode? some battery saving mode maybe? Cuz I have that on my phone, I'll try to turn it off see if it helps.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tyyyyy87
My Device: Note 2

Im on a Note 2. BBM doesn't work unless im at home on WiFi. About 20 minutes after i leave my house i just get red clocks and nobody can msg me. Please let me know if anyone has found a solution please!!!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
rich8606

[ Edited ]

Check if maybe you have "BBM connected icon" turned off from the setting, turning it off will make BBM to stop working on low memory. If it's off, turn it on, some people reported that their problem is solved once they turned the icon on.

Personally, I have it on myself, but BMM is still not working.

What Android version are you using? Maybe this problem only happens with Android 4.1.2? Cuz it seems like everybody with this issue is running 4.1.2.

Please use plain text.
braamraub
My Device: galaxy s 2

I have the same problem. I have a samsung galaxy s2 4.0.3 ics
Please use plain text.
Contributor
rich8606

I see, so it's not just 4.1.2. And it's not just Sony and Samsung phones too. Here's another thread with the same issue, not resolution yet:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BBM-for-Android/BBM-Android-Not-Working-on-3g-4g/td-p/2646389

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BBM-for-Android/Note-2-BBM-works-on-WiFi-only-Please-help-me/...

Please use plain text.
micahsage
My Device: Samsung

I have a Samsung s3 mini and it's the same problem and its been doing it for a while now! ?!! ! Its getting quite annoying| please can you help y does it doo this and my bbm connected icon is always on
Please use plain text.